Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

GI Cache folder in Unity 5 beta 13

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Jase-NZ, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Jase-NZ

Jase-NZ

The GI Caching folder for Unity is now located at %appdata%\Unity\Caches\GiCache\ (i.e. c:\users\windowsuser\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Caches\GiCache\)
    For those of us with small SSD's as their primary drive, is there an option to move this folder to a different drive?

2. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

I Support this. I'm already at 1GB and I haven't even began to work on a project....

3. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

4. Cygon4

Cygon4

Wait... under 'Roaming'?

Holy sh*t! That folder gets synchronized with the server-based user profile on each logon and logoff. A cache is precisely the kind of data that belongs under 'Local', not 'Roaming'.

I'm also running Windows off a small SSD and doing my development work on a traditional harddrive. If the GI cache ends up on my system partition that'll be quite bothersome. Good to know. I'll see if I can set up a junction point to another drive.

5. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

If you go to Unity > Preferences (Mac) or Edit > Preferences (Win) you should see a GI Cache tab on the left of the Preferences panel.

Here you can set the cache size, clear out the current files, as well as set a custom cache location.

sahilyadav127 likes this.
  6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hey,

just so you don't forget - file it as a bug. Having GI Cache in roaming folder is definitely unacceptable :).

7. Jase-NZ

Jase-NZ

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the info. I've generated a bug report and also tried out the alternative path from the Preferences, with success.

8. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

Mine was by default in roaming as well, and was 5GB! It's a very common bug then.

9. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Thank you for reporting this @Jase NZ . What is the bug number for the Roaming folder bug?

10. Jase-NZ

Jase-NZ

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. The case number is 648816.

11. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! I have fixed this and the fix will appear in beta 15 :)

Fortyseven and MACINA_df like this.