Search Unity

GI best practices for architectural visualisation type scenes

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by veracious, Jan 6, 2016.

1. veracious

veracious

I'm looking for some help with lighting in Unity 5 using Enlighten global illumination. I haven't yet seen any guides describing what the best practices are to use in an architectural visualisation scene (or even any other type) so I want to start a discussion about this and then gather a list for future reference.

I'm going to present a bunch of images describing what I've done to create each of them. What I'm looking for in this discussion is to get suggestions, tips, and techniques for how I could achieve better quality in terms of lighting. I will test out all the sane ones and then report back here on whether or not that helped me.

All the links to useful blog posts etc. on this topic are more than welcome. The Unity ones I've gone over multiple times along with Alex Lovett aka Shadowood's personal journal-type entries long time ago.

To start off here's a scene I've still recently puzzled over for some time:

lit.jpg

I have Unity spotlights placed at the middle of each spotlight mesh because the mesh lights themselves are not enough to light the scene. Along with that I have "fake" fill point lights placed in the middle of each room of the house. In this particular image 3 of them are used (one in living room at the bottom, one over the table, and one in the kitchen behind the corner to the left).

The brightness levels in the image are pretty close to what I want to achieve but I don't like it that I have to use these fake point lights because the end result is not accurate how the lighting would actually look like. Another reason for me not liking it is that I cannot use realtime GI to produce the final images because the point light reflections are shown prominently on camera (look at the bottom of the image):

realtime.jpg

If I were to disable the fill point lights the end result is this:

spotlights_70_degrees.jpg

If I increase the spotlight angle from 70 to 108 and boost the bounce from 1 to 1.5 I get this:

spotlights_108_degrees_bounce_1.5.jpg

I don't like the overly yellow tint of the last image which I should be able get rid of by whitening the floor albedo but this is not really possible because the floor itself is looking good as it is now.

Using only mesh lights (except the fireplace) the render looks like this:

mesh_lights.jpg

What's bothering me about this is that the light from the Unity directional light is not really passing through fully although the glass material has transparent standard shader set with full transparency (alpha set to 0).

Now pretty please, what could I do to enhance the lighting in the scene whilst still using realtime GI? My goal is photorealism (which this is still far from) so please consider your answers from this point of view.

2. veracious

veracious

I could only use 5 images in the first post so here's one more which I wanted to use:

mesh_lights_windows_removed.jpg

I removed the door and window frames to see how much more light would flood the room. Looking at the ceiling of both images it looks like the difference is a lot.

What could I do to marry the last two images together i.e. get the lighting from the last one with the models of the first one?

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Instead of removing the glass altogether, just remove it from being static (untick the static checkbox in the inspector)

Edit: or better yet only untick lightmap static.

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

There is even a better way.
    You can create a new Lightmap Parameter File / asset / preset. In that preset you can set the checkmark "Is Transparent".
    Then you can set the glass pains to use the new Lightmap Parameter preset.
    That way you can leave it static and the lightmapper is be ok with it.

AcidArrow likes this.