Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GI baking broken in last several beta's (RC1?)

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by DrDecipher, Feb 6, 2015.

1. DrDecipher

DrDecipher

I was both excited and concerned to hear that an RC1 was upcoming.

I've been hoping that the fix would be realized in the last few Beta's, but either I am the only one having this problem or something is a miss.

After one or two changes to scene elements the GI baking freaks out and returns this error repeatedly.
    'Compositing' job failed with error code: 4 ('Failed reading Indirect file.').

I have tried clearing the cache, playing with toggling settings, etc., but the error always returns.
    The only way to fix it is to restart Unity.

Anyone else getting this?
    Doc

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

This is something I haven't seen during baking. What OS is this on? If the error code is system related the error code '4' could be the Windows error code 'ERROR_TOO_MANY_OPEN_FILES'.

3. DrDecipher

DrDecipher

It is windows 7 yes. I have had this issue since I started with the beta. Each version reacts the same...

It may be ok for a few iterations(bakes), then it breaks and I have to restart Unity.

The error occurs right at the end when composting the maps after the bakeing. step -> 13/14.

My main drive is an SSD. Is it possible that is causing Windows to show this error?

How can I change the cache location to see if this is the case?

4. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

I would expect the file system to cause HDD and SSD drives to appear logically the same to the file I/O API. A lot of legacy apps would break if that wasn't the case. It may not be an issue with too many open file handles. Perhaps Unity 5 is not correctly matching file create/open API calls with file close calls? Perhaps not so in the context of exceptions being thrown? It could be something completely unrelated to file handle lifetimes. Sorry I can't help you on this more.

5. DrDecipher

DrDecipher

My guess is that Unity is not releasing the maps in time... they are in use just before the composting happens.

It may be trying to r/w files that are locked.

I have installed fresh for each release, but I suspect that Unity uses the same cache dir even after a new version is installed.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm getting those errors as well. File a bug report.