Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GI/Bakes Lighting Clarification

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by pett-ber, Mar 24, 2015.

1. pett-ber

pett-ber

Hi!

I cant wrap my head around how unity 5 handles the lighting data.

GI:
    If i have mutiple projects, and the GI cache folder gets full, will it remove the GI-Cache from the oldest projects to make room for the new one? Have noticed that when i open projects i sometimes have to recalculate the gi and sometimes i dont.
    Is it possible to transfer a project with the precomputed GI information from one computer to another without needing to reprecompute the GI?

Baked:
    As i understood it the baked lightmaps is saved to a folder next to the scene file so i can open the project later and not rebake the lightmaps. Did a heavy bake this night with FG on 20k and when i closed and reopend the project the lightmaps where gone and i have to rebake it. Is this an error or have i misunderstood something?

Extra question regarding the GI. How does unity 5 handle prefabs and the precomputed GI. Is there any diffrence how unity 5 precomputes gi for objects if i have 10 pillars just duplicated and movied around or one prefab pillar used 10 times?

best regards Petter

2. pett-ber

pett-ber

Noone with any insights on this matter?

3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

The GI Cache is shared between projects. It is trimmed based on which files were least recently used. If the cache size is too small and all files are still in use, the cache is not trimmed.

To transfer the baked lighting to a different computer, you can check in a lightmap snapshot (I assume you use some kind of version control).

If the cache size is large enough you shouldn't see rebaking in continuous mode when opening the same scene again immediately afterwards. All the files should be loaded quickly from cache.