Search Unity

Terrain Ghost Recon Wildlands TERRAIN

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Gokcan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hi All

Is it possible to achive this quality level of terrain with either scriptable render pipeline or built in renderer with unity? I have tried so many things but no luck. You can see in the video that every details on terrain can be seen even from far away.
    When I try:
    - I see so many tilings:(
    - Although I set basemap distance to highest, I see blury basemap which is looking so bad.
    - And others

So my question, Is it possible? If yes How? Some video tutorials maybe to guide us?

I want to invite unity guys as well... @wyatttt

wyatttt likes this.
  2. konsic

konsic

3. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hi @konsic
    Thanks for this great article. Very first thing I see is they use relatively low resolution height map 1 pixel 50 cm, but they use hardware tessellation on top.

Second, they use houdini to fill in the contents. Procedurally of course. But as u can see there are no probs in the video yet:)

4. ForceVFX

ForceVFX

First you need a tool that can produce height maps, then naturally 'erode' that terrain map.
    Collecting the ":Flow, Wear, Deposition, Talus, path/road, ocean/lake"& create vegetation/rock maps"..
    Use those to seamlessly blend with your chosen splat textures, all the while keeping your end 8-15 splat maps clean.
    Oh yeah, render high resolution color maps, of that same map, to blend with the splat shader at far distances..

I am using World Machine..to do....all that!

(want to know more?)

p-

Gokcan likes this.
  5. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hi @ForceVFX
    I am using World machine as well. But I dont think it is enough as alone to achieve this quality. Unity should give us some terrain shading as well that supports tessalation etc. Also I dont think unity implementation of base map is enough.

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

imho it is not possible to achieve such quality in unity at the moment as ghost recon uses virtual texturing.
    it has been announced for the terrain (https://forum.unity.com/threads/virtual-texture.594349/#post-3983431) but has not landed yet.
    you can come quite close tho using the microsplat, cts or the colormap ultra shaders.
    regarding tiling: there are solutions for this being solved within the shader. however these may be rather expensive, as expensive a triplanar mapping.

GameDevCouple_I likes this.
  7. ForceVFX

ForceVFX

Well, I'll just have to prove you wrong..with CTS, Vegetation Studio & my custom macro's (I'll give you a copy!)

Can I re-create that scene...today?....I'll try!!.

Its a work in progress, I'll make a quick video run through , using it for unity.

p-

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    konsic and Gokcan like this.
  8. Gokcan

Gokcan

@ForceVFX I really wonder to see your work:)

9. ForceVFX

ForceVFX

Ok..step 1)..some terrain.

Had to fix an erosion problem, and realized..proportion!....its way off...that map is 25 Km, compressed into like, 5 km....time to go..to the "real world' Afghanistan mountains.......back soon.

Found some problems in how I was laying down erosion, fixed and got an actual 25 KM map , for size....and, started over..new map, should have it unity..today.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Gokcan likes this.
  10. Rowlan

Rowlan

Can you please elaborate on what exactly you're demonstrating? I might join in and contribute as well, sounds like fun :)

Gokcan likes this.
  11. ForceVFX

ForceVFX

Rebuilding that type of scene for unity, step by step?....almost ready for splat map & textures for CTS, then comes placement of rocks , grass through color maps and vegetation studio. ( a little tougher than I thought)..I am setting this up for a quick rundown/how to video.

p-

Rowlan and Gokcan like this.
  12. Gokcan

Gokcan

Any screenshots from unity window? It starts to look amazing man:)

13. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

You rang?

You might be able to get something closer to this after our next Terrain Tool package release. This will have procedural-based painting and you can use that for materials.

We are working on some other things that will make this feasible in the future but that stuff won't be ready for a while.

If I have time, I'll try to recreate something like the scene you shared with our package.

For the tiling, what do your Terrain Layer textures look like?
    And if you're basemap is blurry even at max distance, you might want to also increase the resolution of that texture in the Terrain Settings

Phoenix116, konsic, Gokcan and 2 others like this.
  14. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

This is the kind of fidelity we are aiming for though!

Rowlan, Peter77, Gokcan and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gokcan

Gokcan

@wyatttt Maybe I should share more videos that you guys can draw inspiration:)

Mauri and wyatttt like this.
  16. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just to answer the first 2 questions:

Regarding blurryness you might want to lower the Pixel Error in the terrain settings.
    Regarding tiling you could try MicroSplat Texture Clusters

Just for show I quickly created a terrain in World Creator 2

wc2.jpg

Imported it into Unity

gr5 nrm.jpg

And applied MicroSplat Texture Clusters (Texture Cluster Mode: Stochastic)

gr5 sto.jpg

Creating that and importing took 30 minutes, it's really only a quick draft to show you options. Oh, and I added Enviro and Lux Water :)

17. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

pixel error officially describes "The accuracy of the mapping between Terrain maps (such as heightmaps and Textures) and generated Terrain." but actually it is the accuracy of the generated terrain chunck or the level of subdivision of the terrain chunk mesh used (if instancing is enabled).
    blurry basemaps should totally depend on the base texture resolution :)
    exactly the expensive method i was thinking of. so i am looking forward what the graphine team might come up with regarding virtual texturing.
    and of course this project from hackweek 2019:
    https://twitter.com/g_truc/status/1145632588389920768

Rowlan likes this.
  18. jbooth

jbooth

I'm not sure virtual texture streaming/virtual texture cache will be a win in every case. A lot of Unity projects I see and get called in to optimize are not pixel shader bound at all, but rather CPU bound. Moving to a streaming based solution is only going to make that worse, as it adds a lot of IO, and the texture cache Unity is doing is basically a memory for shading rate trade much like the basemap solution.

In MicroSplat, I use the basemap as a way to reduce shading cost of expensive features (tessellation, etc) rather than using the traditional basemap solution where you have a single texture for the terrain. I have found that the sampling/blending cost becomes extremely negligible in the distance, because most textures are deep into their mip maps and thus fit into the cache making sampling them close to free, so even when doing triplanar and stochastic, each of which require 3x samples, the difference is negligible.

Rowlan likes this.
  19. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hey jason,
    quite interesting aspect, i never really thought about the cache.
    i usually try to make the basemap kick in as soon as possible.

me neither. but doing e.g. 48 texture lookups per pixel (and several per vertex) each frame where you also could do it once and get away with maybe 4–6 does not sound ideal.
    and as we re discussing ghost recon's terrain: this is what their solution is based on. just like far cry and frostbite.

20. Gokcan

Gokcan

@Rowlan thanks for screenshots. They look amazing and proofs that it can be achieved:) Also, I discovered cababilities of World Creator 2.Amazing...
    I believe that with some custom terrain shaders(cts, megasplat, etc) and using pbr photo scan materials will make my terrain stunning:)

Rowlan likes this.
  21. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

did a quick sculpt ( 20 - 30 minutes ) and here's what i got with the Terrain Tools. used Noise for the base height, then Hydraulic Erosion, and finally Paint Texture with a few different of brush filter combinations

b73e48694cc2ebc170a2b872c6b227a8.jpg

ccfdd6db38f070be087948f5df58be22.jpg

currently running into issues with the control texture resolution not being high enough. might have to use multiple tiles ( each with high control texture resolution ) to increase the fidelity or maybe there something wrong with our concavity/AO filter. stuff looks kinda blocky up close

GameDevCouple_I, Rowlan and Mauri like this.
  22. Mauri

Mauri

@wyatttt Woah... That looks awesome!

23. MxHarr

MxHarr

Next Terrain Tool package release. What kind of timeframe roughly? A few weeks? A month? 3 months? 6 months? a year?

24. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

A few weeks at most

ChrisTchou, Gokcan and Rowlan like this.
  25. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

Forgot to post these images and was reminded when browsing my screen caps. These were made with the 2019.2 Terrain Tools package and HDRP. Mostly used the Noise and Erosion Brushes to build the height then used the Paint Texture Tool with Concavity and Slope filters for the material painting.

image (3).png
    image (2).png image.png image (1).png

Mauri, Gokcan, Rowlan and 1 other person like this.
  26. Gokcan

Gokcan

@wyatttt thanks for great painting tools. Everything began to be clearer right now.

27. ForceVFX

ForceVFX

Ok, so this "Topic" started me down a long road...I'm hoping to get an automated system , so unity can 'ingest' 12 alpha maps at a time...from 'what ever' source..me I am using the 'New' World Machine version to Generate snow, creeks, rivers, erosion..etc...My textures and channels need some work..but this my First '12 Splat World Machine Conversion:
    4X4 25 Km sq 4K Height 8K split splat maps.(Then converted to mesh)..All CTS Basic Shader.

Unity Terrain

Converted to Mesh - 55 Draw Calls

It needs..R.A.M, + Veg Studio next, till then... Quick test Flight.

better
    Just a test
    P-

cant stop..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019