Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ghost of a Tale"

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Seith, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

This is looking absolutely stunning man, very unique as well.
    Keep up the good work!

2. METALWINGS

METALWINGS

Great job for a one man army, very inspiring , good luck with your compaign .

3. Dantus

Dantus

It looks even more impressive when you see it in motion! Well done!

4. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

5. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Looks fantastic!

6. Horror

Horror

Cute and dark at the same time! I'm intrigued!

7. Padges

Padges

Saw this a couple days ago and was impressed. Now I see it on Kotaku this morning. Congratulations, so far it looks like it will be a great success!

Question: Did you send it to Kotaku or did they just find it?

8. meta87

meta87

Loovvvve the look of this game bravo. Reminds me of Redwall :D

Best of luck with the kickstarter.

9. edd

edd

Inspirational, fantastic, I love the style all thumbs up.

10. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Seith, have you read the novel Redwall? Also take a look at the graphic novel Mouse Guard for a more visual reference. I also somehow get a Dark Souls vibe here.

Really, those first two I mentioned are the things I imagine when I see your game. A crab as a giant boss, or an owl, or a snake. A small bunny as a speedy mount. A fishing hook as a weapon. A past war between non-winged animals and winged animals (which forced mice and cats to an alliance), and so on...

I'd love a fighting game-esque combat system that Dark Souls has, but that hardcore difficulty might turn off some players.

11. Windurin

Windurin

I saw this on Eurogamer this morning:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ding-medieval-mouse-adventure-ghost-of-a-tale

I had no idea it was a Unity project until I came here. Very inspiring, and makes me want to push ahead with my own one-man project (nowhere near ready to show yet). I love the character - games need more anthropomorphic animals! And the games/artists you list as your inspirations are right up my street.

Quick question: Will there be in-engine cutscenes or is the story conveyed more through text/journals, etc?

Good luck and I'll be pledging my support on IGG when I get paid on April 12th.

12. Seith

Seith

Thanks for all the positive vibes, guys! It's been a lot of work, and to be able to show it at last is a great relief. It seems that many major news sites have reported on the game and the campaign so far. I did contact a couple of the sites myself at first but it's picked up pretty quickly on its own since.

So to quickly answer a couple of questions: Yes, I did read Redwall by Brian Jacques many years ago. I quote it as an inspiration on the campaign page: http://igg.me/at/ghost-of-a-tale and I really liked it. Now regarding Mouseguard quite a few people mentioned it to me. I haven't read it but I know that throughout the years several comics came out with similar themes. I guess it's quite ingrained in the human psyche.

Regarding cut-scenes there won't be any pre-rendered stuff. Everything will be in-engine. Most of it will be through reading things, a couple will be conveyed in a more traditional/cinematic staging.

Combats won't be as involved as Dark Souls. It'll be simpler, more direct. The only common thread is the stamina bar; every "intense" physical action (jumping, sprinting on all fours, attacking, rolling, etc...) will take away a chunk of it. But again I'll probably stay close to the "Gothic" and "Risen" kind of combat. Which is fairly simple and straight-forward.

Please let me know if I missed some questions!

13. virror

virror

Looks amazing! : )

14. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

This stuff is really inspirational. Hard to believe this is a one man project. Really want to see this succeed. But won't kickstarter be a better choice for funding?

15. virror

virror

Not if he is from another country that us or uk.

16. imphenzia

imphenzia

You definitely have my Indiegogo support purely based on your history and involvement in films that my kids love (Despicable Me has probably played 100+ times in the room next to me =) This huge leap you are taking to feed your creative drive (with more personal control) in game development and I find it very inspirational. I am hoping to take the same path one day (but in my case from being an IT consultant with no outlet of creativity what-so-ever.)

I really hope you get the funding and I'll do what I can to promote it. The game looks great and I'd really like to play it =)

17. Jago

Jago

18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

19. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Wow this is really going nuts! :D

20. AustinK

AustinK

This is looking quite impressive, and you're doing it all on your own! Great job.

Side note: I noticed at the end of the video there is a type-o. You missing the word "to" when you said "in order become a real game". I know it's not a BIG deal, but since you're starting a crowdfunding campaign I just wanted to point it out incase something like that mattered to you when the masses see it now.

Again, great job and good luck!

21. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

The Darksign brands the Undead Rats.

And in this land, the Rats are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away, to await the end of the world....

22. Seith

Seith

Thank you guys!

@AustinK: Oh man, that is so embarrassing. Can't believe I didn't catch that...

@Aurore: Yeah, the coverage has been great so far. Just searching for "Ghost of a Tale" in Google returns quite a lot of pages. Also, I thought I would share a short exchange I witnessed on Reddit:

"- What engine is this using?"

"- Unity."

"- Oh, I actually wasn't aware Unity could produce such visuals."

:)

23. Safakas

Safakas

Graphics are amazing nice job

24. Defero

Defero

Wonderful, really hope you get the support

25. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah cause you know Unity sits there working all night on those visuals while you're out at the pub. :)

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

This game looks great, nice graphics. Keep up the good work.

27. virror

virror

Please bring back the old hood : p
    The new one seems a bit out of place, the old one was a perfect fit!

28. Seith

Seith

Thank you!

@JamesArndt:
    Absolutely. Personally I always let Unity's little elves do the work. :)

@Virror: Or maybe there could be an option to choose the color of the hood, who knows...

29. TechnicianStudios

TechnicianStudios

is this UDK? ( its a joke) man it looks good man, grate job! :)

30. Defero

Defero

I knew there was a reason why everyone was crazy about unity, just couldn't quite figured it out ;)

keep up the good work

31. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

This is looking amazing man! Keep up the good work! The "quotes" were pretty funny and random :p But irregardless, excellent!

32. Seith

Seith

@Ethanninja: Hehe. They were. Although one guy's comment on Youtube really cracked me up. It was just: "Why have you come to this island? You don't even look like a warrior... Do you even lift?".

33. Seith

Seith

Here's just a quick little turntable video to get a better view of the main character:

[video=youtube;BYLazhXN8hs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLazhXN8hs&feature=youtu.be

As I say in the video description, this model is a very temporary asset, so many technical things are not yet sorted out, among which:

- Cloth shader is extremely basic
    - Fur shader does not yet support self-shadowing or even cast shadows
    - Body texture and mesh are far from final (especially the feet!)
    - Etc...

The crowdfunding campaign is going on right now: http://www.igg.me/at/ghost-of-a-tale and with 23 days to go the campaign is only at about a third of the budget. So if you would like to give "Ghost of a Tale" a chance to exist then please go to this page and see if you can help...

34. Seith

Seith

Here's a better look at one of the undead rats. This is one of the more heavily armored ones. They're not very fast, but when they do hit you they can kill you with one blow. Compared to your small mousy self they are towering giants:

[video=youtube;xoJUBanI0eY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJUBanI0eY&feature=youtu.be

Again, this is just the game asset with basic Unity lighting directly within Unity, as it appears in-game. It is however still a work-in-progress, so it is likely to be improved before the game's release. Well, that is if the campaign can reach its goal of course.

(Incidentally, this is the pose used for the figurine available on the campaign page)

35. Seith

Seith

So you thought the only "life" form on the Island of Periclave was the undead garrison of the Rat King? Think again... :)

The island is located in the middle of the great Lake Vaelias and the frogs have lived there for a very long time, despising the wars of the Hairy Ones with all their disgusting ears and tails.

When the rats built their citadel the frogs were driven back to their underwater caves and temple. But now... Now something has happened on the island.

... But, well, all this won't matter if the campaign for "Ghost of a Tale" doesn't reach its goal of course: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale/x/1588326

36. GeneBox

GeneBox

Beautiful!

37. imphenzia

imphenzia

Looks really, really, good =) Do you do all the 3D modeling and texturing yourself (as well as the animation and coding?)

38. chippy-cheese

chippy-cheese

I only have two questions. Is there a core focus of a story of why is the mouse hero here? Secondly why does the main character have a string instrument on his back for what reason?

39. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

This is by far one of the most impressive games I have ever seen with unity. This has prob been asked before but do you create all the models and animations on your own?

Really looking forward to see more.

40. Seith

Seith

@Imphy: Thanks. Yes, I do everything myself (except the music, which is composed by Jeremiah Pena).

@Chippy Cheese: The story focuses on the mouse and why he's on the island. Although another main quest about the events on the island takes a lot of importance as well. And the main character carries a lute on his back because he's a minstrel.

@Snowconesolid: Thank you. Yes, I do the character design, modeling, texturing, rigging and animation myself. It's a lot of work, but it's also very rewarding!

41. SteveJ

SteveJ

@Seith - are you on Twitter at all? Couldn't find a link for you anywhere, but I'd love to keep up to date with what you're doing.

42. Seith

Seith

@SteveJ: I'm on Twitter @SeithCG (but I always post updates on my website eventually).

43. SteveJ

SteveJ

Okay... weird. I'm already following you. I think I already did this thing where I was looking for you on Twitter, but figured I might have dreamed it.

Best to ignore what I just said and not try to make sense of it :)

44. Seith

Seith

One nasty monster:

45. virror

virror

Nasty!

46. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Would love to see the wire frames and uv's for these. Crab looks super!

47. marcaurelio74

marcaurelio74

Hi,
    your game look really wonderful!
    I really hope your campaign succeed.

A question :
    What have you used for the water?
    It really look superb.
    Thanks

48. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Best wishes for your funding ;) Looks great and seems like it has a good story for game play. Love it.

49. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

crab is so nasty; I love the material!

50. Seith

Seith

Thank you for the positive feedback, guys. It really helps in those stressful times... :)

@Ben4Views: Here's a picture of the UVs, wireframe and Zbrush for you. On the UV map you can see I left myself some room for additional details:

$2f0g1gy.jpg

@Marcaurelio74: Thanks, the water is just tweaked from the default advanced water that comes with Unity Pro. It looks a bit better now (improved from can be seen in the video), but I hope it will look MUCH better before the end.

@PrimeDerektive: Thanks. It's a standard material with a simple cubemap, nothing fancy. I hope to develop nicer shaders at some point.