Search Unity

Getting "Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation", while my game idles

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by joellang, May 22, 2017.

1. joellang

joellang

I have a Unity Application thats running on a Computer with an Oculus connected, so the game is running on the oculus (I don't know if the error has something to do with the Oculus or VR in general, but I am just mentioning everything, I know so it's easier to resolve the problem).
    When I start the game, the player is in a lounge (A room with some images on the walls, nothing else). From this lounge it is possible to change the scene. One other scene plays a video using AVPro and the other scene is just a 3D Rollecoaster, built with some assets.
    I didn't make any special settings in unity, so it's pretty much a normal unity application running VR.
    Both scenes run about 2 minutes and then they return to the "lounge" (thats not an error, I programmed it like this).
    When I run those scenes (on Win7) and then I remain in the lounge for a couple of hours, without doing anything, the game crashes and I get an acces violation (error log at bottom).
    The error log says "96% memory in use.". That is already pretty weird, since I have 32 GB RAM.
    I tried to reproduce the error and it happened again, but this time with 43% memory in use.
    When I run the application in a different Computer (Win7), (I am sadly not able to start the other scene on this computer, since I don't have oculus not connected, and the scenes start by looking around) the game doesn't crash and the memory doesn't fill up.
    Later I will try to start the game on the computer where the error occured, and I won't start another scene and see if it still crashes, but I am not able to do this in the next days, because I am not there, so I will give an update as soon as I tried this.

I should also mention, that ...
    • ...I make some udp stuff so i have multiple udp connections running in the scenes.
    • ...I dont dispose a script from the first scene (lounge) because that is always listening for a udp input

So now there are some possibilities.

• It is the Computer

• It is the loading and unloading of the scene (maybe the problem is caused by an object from a different scene, maybe something is not disposing correctly or idk)

• It is because of the VR, because the computer that has the oculus connected crashes and the other one not
    • It is something else in the first scene
    So does anyone of you know what the problem is? Thank you!

Error log link: Error Log [1]
    (The Error log is also attached as a file in this thread)

[1]: https://paste.ee/p/BZTso

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Donay

Donay

access violation are often down to hardware / driver issues.
    Make sure you hardware drivers and directX version are uptodate.

3. joellang

joellang

Thank you, I will take a look at that!

4. massey_digital

massey_digital

Were you ever able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue right now. :(

One solution I might've just found is to upgrade to Unity 5.6.2. That seemed to solve it for me. I was using 5.6.0 before.

5. joellang

joellang

Yes I was, after a million years of researching
    I had to turn off the "run in background" (under the player options I think). The problem was, that it still was rendering, but the oculus was not displaying the image, so unity didnt garbage collect the rendered image and ram overflowed after a while...

massey_digital and hopeful like this.