Search Unity

Getting used to the Unity engine

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tbelgrave, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Hiya guys, after months of having my license lay dormant I decided to fire up unity again with Ver 2 and in the process got through the lengthy but very helpful 3D platformer tut. I didn't really stray away from the beaten path here, but I've learnt many valuable things for the project I've started.

Anyhoo here you go http://www.thecareergamer.com/web/gameTest.htm

Great for those who haven't played it yet.

~t

2. evicubix

evicubix

lildragn, for a first project this is quite amazing :eek:
    i haven't finish the game yet, only finding the 1st 2nd parts and i keep falling off :p

Sometimes the camera have a weird angle, especially if something is blocking the view, so i have to keep pressing ALT to reset the camera back.

since i use Firefox, the ALT key open the Firefox menu, maybe if you change to another key (like "Z" or "X" maybe, it will solve the problem)

so far everything is nice :D
    (btw is this the final result of the game from the tutorial, because i haven't read it yet, hopefully it's easy enough for an artist to learn :p)

3. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Ah good points, that's why I like playing it with my logitech pad ;) plus it's a helluva lot easier heh.

The cam is a problem in areas, what I would like happen is have it not intersect any geometry at all, but have it reset automatically when it detects a collision.

Also this is indeed the final result with some slight modifications. And strictly as an artist myself, I can assure you the authors did a great job making the process relatively painless!

Good luck!

~t

4. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Nice job! It's soooo rewarding to finish that tutorial, isn't it? I burned it onto a cd for my 5 yr old son, since he really enjoyed playing it and had watched me put it together step by step constantly asking 'is your game ready yet? can I play it?' :)

That was the first thing I did when I got Unity and it was real encouragement to keep going and discover more.

I totally agree with you that they did an awesome job making the tutorial.

5. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

thx psychicparrot! And yeah there's a great feeling that comes from finishing this tut. Got a round of kisses from the wife and a curious 19 mth old son looking on :) And yup that's all I needed.

Take care,

~t