Search Unity

Getting use to text editors ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlackMantis, May 4, 2018.

1. BlackMantis

BlackMantis

Is it safe to stay with Mono Dev, or notepad if preferred over VS ?

Will we always be able to attach our favorite editors ? ( panic pending )

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Mono Develop is completely gone with the latest releases of Unity. Won't install by default and won't have the functionality it had with prior releases. It's basically no better than any other advanced text editor at this point.

There is absolutely no way to guarantee that you will always be able to do it but I'd be surprised if they did remove support for hooking up a normal text editor.

3. BlackMantis

BlackMantis

Ty for the reply. I've been trying tuff for a while to get into VS, ( not going well ) all the bells and whistles are freaking me out lol. I'm sure I'll get it figured out soon ( I hope ). I'm just hoping that a variety of editors can still be used with unity even if its simple attachment that needs to just read the libraries for auto complete and run the debugger. I do dig VSCode :)

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I like to code python automation in a regular text editor, but for something like Unity where you're using their API's all the time I can't imagine coding in something that doesn't have autocomplete and error checking functionality. At best it will just unnecessarily waste time.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Doug_B

Doug_B

Much more importantly - a debugger.

You can write code on parchment with a lump of charcoal. But stepping through what you have written is essential for any non-trivial coding.

6. HolBol

HolBol

If you want to keep it basic use something like Notepad++ and make sure you've set it up for Unity syntax highlighting (can't remember how but I'm sure there's info out there). It's nice and lightweight and you don't have to stare at the screen waiting for visual studio to open which is always a plus. I used it for years with no significant issues.