Search Unity

Getting those crisp images

Discussion in '2D' started by Lasseastrup3, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Lasseastrup3

Lasseastrup3

Hey guys.
    I'm developing a 2D game with loads of gorgeous 2D assets. I've been working in Unity for a few years now, but never in 2D so I have a few issues I hope you can help me with.
    I'm having trouble getting my sprites to look nice and crispy - it looks as if they have artifacts and pixel stretching. I've been googling a lot, trying out various things to get it right, but haven't found the solution yet.
    Is it important that every single sprite has the same "Pixels Per Unit" value? I used it as a way of changing the size of the sprites without changing their scale at the beginning of the project, and now I'm beginning to question if that was a good idea.
    Here's some stuff I've tried:
    - calculating the correct orthographic size relative to the screen size and pixels per unit
    - changing the filter mode/compression/mip maps on the sprite images
    - making sure everything is power of two
    - Using Pixel Snap on the sprite shaders

I bought a few "pixel perfect" 2D assets and the only one that actually worked was "Smooth 2D Camera", but that resulted in other issues. It did however make all images look super good.

Not sure if I've provided enough information, but I'd be grateful for any help whatsoever.

Kind Regards
    Lasse :)

2. FranticThumbs

FranticThumbs

Are the images looking less crisp in the preview as a 2d sprite or actually in a scene? The preview will always look blurry.

How you set up images in the sprite editor will depend on the size and if you are using pixel art(for example). Heres a video that has some examples of how to import and set up art.

3. Lasseastrup3

Lasseastrup3

Awesome video - will watch right away, thanks :)
    The images are looking bad in the scene. Obviously if I increase the size of the Game window the sprites looks better, but even when it's fairly big they still look rather bad compared to how good the source images look

4. Kuan

Kuan

Unity Technologies

BitPax and theANMATOR2b like this.