Search Unity

Question Getting Teleport to work and Grabbing objects (XR)

Discussion in 'VR' started by BillyBobThe9ThJr, Feb 15, 2023.

1. BillyBobThe9ThJr

BillyBobThe9ThJr

Hey guys,
    I'm making a VR game with my friend and i had really basic teleport down and i followed a tutorial to make the teleport line turn on when i pushed the thumbstick forward, i did have grabbing working using the interactor line but now i can still grab stuff but it's with the teleport line and i cant move around while carrying it since it's on the same keybind,
    anyway to change so i grab them with my hands instead of the interactor line?
    pls send help

P.S im really new to this so i have been following alot of tutorials, and im doing everything they say for the grab feature.

2. nilagard

nilagard

Hi Billy! Welcome to gamedev! While I do not have any quickfix for you, I can instead tell you that you might be on the wrong path. Gamedev can be very challenging, frustrating and fun at the same time. It seems to me like you have next to zero coding skills and or next to zero experience with logic/game logic. I would advise you to start with small scale games and programs to start with. VR can be very skill and coding demanding as it is an entirely different way to play from the original keyboard and mouse. I have done gamedev for 7 years and I can tell you that it's a whole new level of thinking and being a challenge. However, if you do only want to do VR, I suggest you dig DEEP into the Documentation and teach yourself through guides/youtube etc how to work in Unity. If you start small and bit by bit by watching basics and doing basic code, the rest will come with time. Good luck!

3. KieDK

KieDK

Probably more helpful than the other guy. Later on in the series he'll show you how to set grab, teleport and distance grab to its own interaction layer (ie can't grab stuff with teleporting laser).

4. kige12

kige12

hey guys I wanna grab things while having the xr teleportation but it says I cant have both xr interactions. is there any way I can bypass it or something?

5. levysn

levysn

You should only have one InteractionManager on your XR Origin. I recommend that you use the default scene with XR that has the 'Complete XR Origin Set Up'. This is pre-loaded with teleportation and grabbable objects in the scene. You should then take a look at all of the child objects and components of the XR Origin to understand how things work.

Edit: btw you can toggle between interaction types but I don't think that's what you're going for here