Search Unity

Getting swiping interactions with objects to "feel right".

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by evan_ohara, Dec 3, 2016.

1. evan_ohara

evan_ohara

Hey all. I have an input handler that gets some data about a swipe such as start/end points and time. If a character is holding something or I want him to shoot something, I can use the variables to decide how fast or far I want the projectile to go. Messing around with it a bit it is difficult to get this to feel right. If the player needs to be accurate with something it can be frustrating if it doesn't feel right and the window of error seems to big.

What is a good way of handling getting this kind of thing to feel right? Tons of trial and error? Thanks!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yep!

To make this process faster, you should come up with some GUI that lets you tweak (and read) the various parameters in game. That way you can tweak it on the fly, without having to make a new build. When you have the values you like, read them out and put them into the build (as property values in the inspector or whatever), and then you can hide the tweaking GUI.

Be sure to test with a variety of people to make sure your final solution feels good to most of them, and not just you!

3. evan_ohara

evan_ohara

Hehe. I was kind of afraid of that. But I guess I'm glad a lot of things about making games isn't easy. I got some testers lined up, just wanna get my game a little closer to completion so I don't bore people before it gets released.