Search Unity

Bug Getting stuck on Domain Reload

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sebioff, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Sebioff

Sebioff

Since updating to Unity 2022.2 the editor keeps getting stuck on Reloading Domain on every second or third recompile roughly.

upload_2022-12-21_12-43-34.png

The Editor.log just shows that it compiled assemblies, and then says:
    Nothing else gets logged afterwards.

What can I do to figure out what's going on?

vi_s and Snedden27 like this.
  2. Cornysan

Cornysan

Same issue here

3. whateverbigboss

whateverbigboss

Same issue

4. Crocoder

Crocoder

Same issue, bump?

5. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

Same with one of my projects. Is there a way to cancel the domain reload and try again?
    Also turning off the domain reload from project settings does not help.
    I think I isolated the problem to a dll (Rehci.SshNet.dll), but unfortunately it's essential for my project and I cannot just remove it.

6. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

I tested on different versions of Unity (2021, 2022, 2023) and all have the same problem. Sometimes it works fine for an hour, but there are cases where it gets stuck every time I make a change. And what bothers me the most is: I have turned off the domain reload in the settings and it still does it.
    Does anybody have an idea how to REALLY turn it off?

7. FWCorey

FWCorey

Bump - Unity 2022.2.5
    Only fix is reboot pc and then delete the temp and library folders before re-opening the project.

8. curtispelissier

curtispelissier

Same issue with Unity 2022.2.6f1

Even deleting Library and Temp doesn't seem to work...

9. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

For me it happens when I connect Visual Studio for debugging, then click the "Enable debugging mode" and then it starts to reload domain... and stays there for minutes. I stop the debugging session and it's stuck, Visual and Unity. I have to restart both. And this happens too often.

10. jaindevesh144

jaindevesh144

Should we use older version then?

11. oreo_hbi

oreo_hbi

same issue, 2022.2.9f1 and 2022.2.11f1

12. talila

talila

We're having the same issue here

13. slava_pankratov

slava_pankratov

same issue when opening project... it's terrible :(

MuntyMcFly likes this.
  14. jbat100

jbat100

Same issue here, stuck can't work, really bad...

15. wolfadactyl

wolfadactyl

Yeah this issue is brutal - I can't even get my project to open now. I've tried several different editor versions and they all just hang at "completing domain".

16. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I'm having the same issue. I was in the middle of working and haven't had the chance to save yet and now my Editor is just stuck "reloading domain".

17. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

18. StarBornMoonBeam

StarBornMoonBeam

I upgraded yesterday to the latest lts version and noticed a reduction in domain reloading times. So maybe it's time to update hub and editor if you have not done so already.

19. wolfadactyl

wolfadactyl

I was able to fix this on my end by opening in safe mode, removing some packages, exiting safe mode, and then re-adding them. I don't remember exactly which packages, but at the very least I removed entities 1.0 + physics, and I think URP and maybe one other.

Unity_Javier likes this.
  20. wolfadactyl

wolfadactyl

As a follow up here - was still having issues with the previous version but it looks like it might be fixed on or before 2022.2.20f1. I just updated my client and am able to open cleanly without needing to start in safe mode or remove + re-add packages. Huzzah!

21. psyycker

psyycker

Same issue here as of 2022.2.20..

22. zexzill

zexzill

got my problem fixed by deleting the .dll files instead of disabling it in the editors,
    how to safely close the unity app :
    if this bug happens is just close the unity program after a short time when loading domain dissapeared and click on discard changes.
    next, check up on the assemblies that goes wrong with it and delete it instead

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

same problem here, unity 2022.2.11f1... incredibly incredibly frustrating to randomly loose your work once in a while

24. Snedden27

Snedden27

same , happened when I started debugging session and tried to update code in visual as unity editor was enabling debugging for the current session, had to force quit unity editor and restart , did loose some work :(

25. Celsyum

Celsyum

i had this issue and its easy to reproduce. My fix was simple. I was working with namedPipes. If i created new NamedPipeServerStream and during testing i forgot to disconnect and dispose on time and just stopped Play mode manually - somehow Unity keeps connected to that pipe and Domain Reload always hangs up and crashes Unity when i edit code later on. So make sure you drop all kind of connections , like pipe, sql or other type of connections , which left open after stopping play mode (or during error).It might hang your Unity every time you modify code later on.
    So simple fix - do not forget OnApplicationQuit() and dispose of any connection you have. And manage your errors gracefully :D

26. VirtusH

VirtusH

Same here.
    My hang is accompanied by a rapidly growing memory leak, so I have a limited time to kill Unity before my whole computer starts seizing up.

27. RobinHut3

RobinHut3

same, cant even close Unity whitout getting stuck.

28. JosephStar318

JosephStar318

This seriously needs a fix

chikchik likes this.
  29. gustmsalmeron

gustmsalmeron

Same issue, started recently, 2022.3.1f1. The only thing I started doing recently, was building cutscenes for my project, is it related to playables maybe?

30. bart_artanim

bart_artanim

We have the same issue after updating to 2022.3.6f1 (and 2022.3.7f1) from 2022.2.2f1. I've tried to follow the instructions at https://forum.unity.com/threads/debugging-editor-freezes-and-hangs-windows-only.1259924/ but the information I gather is not very insightful to me.

I'm not sure if the 0 entries should in fact show more information and I'm doing something wrong, but these versions have seriously crippled our workflow, even though they have bugfixes we absolutely need.

upload_2023-8-10_20-2-26.png

31. JBacal

JBacal

Same issue here.

32. harumaron

harumaron

Same issue with Unity 2022.3.5f1...

33. SAMYTHEBIGJUICY

SAMYTHEBIGJUICY

Man this bug sucks I hope they fix it soon ;_____________; (2022.3.4f1)

34. Nanachi88

Nanachi88

same issue. Stuck in reloading domain and unity force close. Unity 2022.3.6f1 and Unity 2021.3.11f1

35. thomasvaniseghemSB

thomasvaniseghemSB

Same issue on 2022.3.8f1

Update: also happens when a debugger is attached

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  36. alemnunez

alemnunez

This problem drove me crazy for 3 days until I found the problem.

I am using Rider as the editor, and I had the "Automatically refresh assets in Unity" setting enabled (in Settings -> Languages & Frameworks -> Unity Engine). This apparently triggers a loop in some situations where unity is reloading the domain, rider detects a change, tells unity about it and reloads again, and so on.

It never happened again since I disabled that option.

37. Recluse

Recluse

Just updated my project from Unity 2021 (which was very stable) to 2022.3.8f1. Never had so many editor crashes, including my PC just spontaneously restarting on one occasion. As well as freezing on Domain reload, also have to contend with Unity Editor crashing after "failed to present d3d11 swapchain" error message. I'm saving my work every ten minutes at the moment.

38. malkere

malkere

I started a new project today 2022.3.9... I have 1 script for basic player movement. No imported assets other than PNGs and whatever Unity added with the "2D Core" package... and the editor is not responding for 6 minutes now, Reloading Domain... I'm like 30 minutes into the project... Have never seen this in my massive main project in 2019...

spacehelmetboy likes this.
  39. progCan

progCan

does this keep happening every time? if not, just close unity from the task manager, open it back and then it should be solved.

40. Christin2015

Christin2015

I had to update Rider to the latest version to get rid of it. (Unity 2022.3, Rider 2023.2.1 work)

41. Tgtrasher

Tgtrasher

I have the same error. And is so frustrating and I will probably change engine.

benglasser and lohanc like this.
  42. thomasvaniseghemSB

thomasvaniseghemSB

@Unity_Javier Any updates on this? Same story as @bart_artanim. Our workflow has been impacted quite drastically due to this issue, having to force close Unity and reopen everytime there is a change in the code is starting to take it's toll

43. eudendeew

eudendeew

any update? It seems it could be related to Burst, but I have another project with it and it doesn't have this issue.
    Another suspect would be scriptable object serialization, in the bugged project it alerts me about serialization depth.

In any case, this looks like a deadlock or multithreaded code falling back to single thread.

44. jonathaniscarroll

jonathaniscarroll

same issue occuring for me, 2022.3.9f1

webik150 likes this.
  45. euden_one

euden_one

WTF, even creating a new assembly gets me stuck on "Completing Domain" for one minute! And then when reimporting any script I get stuck on Reloading Domain for 40 seconds.

I think I fixed it: I had scriptable objects that had classes with [Serializable] which in turn had more [Serializable] in them, when removing the [Serializable] decorator it compiles again as normal.

On Unity 2022.3.2f1 haven't tried in more recent versions.

UPDATE: I had a script in a prefab, that inside class a [Serializable] class (Let's call it "class Data") that had inside a private List<Data>, either deleting the prefab that uses "Data" or removing the List bring compilation back to normal speeds.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  46. thomasvaniseghemSB

thomasvaniseghemSB

Confirmed this to be a problem on both Windows 11 and MacOS. I can reproduce quite consistently by attaching a debugger in VSCode. When no debugger is attached, no problems arise. Project I'm working on is way to big to pinpoint an exact cause like @euden_one mentioned above here.

gooby429 likes this.
  47. benjamin_thegoodevil

benjamin_thegoodevil

Had the issue in one of our older projects too.
    The project was running on a 2019.3.x version of unity with assetdatabase v1.
    First I upgraded the version to 2019.4.40 which triggered a rebuild of the assetdatabase in v2.

During the opening process of the project in the newer versions a small white window appeared which seemed to block unity. The window turned out to be a git checker window which was attached to unity via the [UnityEditor.Callbacks.DidReloadScripts] attribute. I deactivated the window so it won't try to open during the opening process of unity.

Guess those two things made a difference since I was now able to open the project in 2021.3.

I recommend checking whether your project is using assetdatabase v2 already. If not try to upgrade it "slowly". Jumping from 2019.3 to 2022.3 was way to big I guess.
    Also try to remove [UnityEditor.Callbacks.DidReloadScripts] attribute usage if you got that in your project.

48. chase_unity38

chase_unity38

getting stuck too. unity 2021, 2022, and 2023.
    1. run the game
    2. stop the game
    3. make a code change, recompile
    4. unity gets stuck "Reloading Domain"

I look at the editor log, unity isn't completely frozen, it's logging the same type of message every second or so:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
    2. Unloading 0 unused Assets / (Unknown). Loaded Objects now: 11253.
    3. Memory consumption went from 8.53 GB to 8.53 GB.
    4. Total: 1026.463000 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.406583 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.151875 ms MarkObjects: 1025.896166 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.007625 ms)
    6. Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
    7. Unloading 0 unused Assets / (0 B). Loaded Objects now: 11253.
    8. Memory consumption went from 8.53 GB to 8.53 GB.
    9. Total: 1027.794042 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.485125 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.152708 ms MarkObjects: 1027.147333 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.008584 ms)

49. harumaron

harumaron

I found one cause for this problem.
    It was due to the fact that I had not cancelled the server streaming of gRPC.

The solution is to pass the CancellationToken to the IAsyncStreamReader properly. By canceling at the end of the application, the streaming can be finished successfully.

See sample code below.
    Note that this is only hypothetical code.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public async void Stream(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    2.         {
    3.             AsyncServerStreamingCall<SomeResponse> streamer = CallInvoker.AsyncServerStreamingCall(SomeRequest, null, options, request);
    4.             IAsyncStreamReader<SomeResponse> streamReader = streamer.ResponseStream;
    6.             while (await streamReader.MoveNext(cancellationToken)) //Be sure to pass the CancellationToken.
    7.             {
    9.             }
    10.         }

50. Snedden27

Snedden27

Revisiting this as this still happens for me, I have got used to it but I would appreciate if this is solved and I can save time from force-killing the editor and restarting unity. For me it consistently happens when I debug , sometimes the debugger works but when I make a code change then recompile and try to start the game in the editor with debugger on in VS code I get stuck on Reloading Domain and I have to force kill unity,

i am on 2022.3.6f1(stable) , I am pretty sure this didn't occur in previous older versions

ericpug likes this.