Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting started

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by GG_Begins, Aug 21, 2020.

1. GG_Begins

GG_Begins

I'm in sixth form preparing for my NEA and looking to use Unity 3D developer, however I wanted to ask for your opinions on whether it is better for me to build my own pc or to buy an up-to-date mac?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It doesn't matter. Unity works on both; use whichever you prefer.

3. adamgolden

adamgolden

Unless you want to build for iOS :rolleyes:

I prefer Windows personally and I've had to make the same decision.. I decided to stick with what I'm already most comfortable using and worry about borrowing/renting/buying a Mac when I actually have something ready to publish.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, that's a good point. I forgot that you can't build iOS from Windows.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

IOS and Mac IL2CPP builds require a Mac. Windows IL2CPP and UWP builds require Windows.

Apple has the bad habit of making significant OS changes which break a bunch of applications, including Unity, which makes maintaining older projects difficult on a Mac. For example you can't really run Unity prior to 2017 LTS on current MacOS because of Apple's shenanigans. I'd expect Apple's behavior to continue. With Apple effectively deprecating x86 Macs with their upcoming ARM based Macs, I'd be hesitant buying a new Mac right now anyway.

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Or, perhaps you want to buy an x86 Mac now while you still can.

But yeah, totally agree with @Joe-Censored about Apple's shenanigans. They strongly push users to update the OS, and the OS updates break apps, which means that you can't count on an older app continuing to run. It's shameful. But for some of us, at least, there are no tolerable alternatives...

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Hmmm.. I hear PowerPC Macs are going for high prices right now on ebay. Maybe you're onto something.