Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting started with Windows Development

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Check out our new porting page! This page contains the basics of setting up SDK's, essential tips on porting and porting labs near you!

Unity Windows Basics and Porting information.

Here are some links to our docs for Windows development. If you have any other useful links, feel free to share in this thread.

Windows Store: Getting Started

Windows Store FAQ

Windows Store Samples in BitBucket

Generic questions regarding Windows Store Apps can be found here

Generic Windows Store Apps samples 8.1

Generic Windows Store Apps samples 10.0

Rogue Code: Jump Start to Windows Phone and Unity

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  3. Jodon

Jodon

I presented on how to solve some Win8 and WP8 issues during the beta period. You can find a link to that presentation and example code on my blog here: http://www.codingjargames.com/blog/2013/04/09/unity-on-windows-8/. I will be giving an updated presentation at Unite13 where I will again solve the latest issues that trip people up.

4. moyesjack

moyesjack

Thanks for sharing nice post. It is really useful for them who are new to Windows. Windows are not that popular in the market such as iPhone and Android but still they are progressing and increasing fast surely.
    The links you posted are really nice and informative, I have checked almost all. But I thought that I have read somewhere else also. But you posted a very good Group of Information at one place. :)

5. animalgame

animalgame

Great Post !! If you're ready to build your first Windows 8 app, the above mentioned links walks you through the steps to build your first app.

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

7. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

9. Jodon

Jodon

I did a talk on the subject of porting to Win8 and WP8 at Unite 2013. The link to the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwdczQNzUoY. Some things have changed slightly since the talk which I've highlighted in the comments section.

10. AndreaP

AndreaP

Great read, thanks!
    The links in the pdf are not working for me, could you please post the url for the Sample Unity Project Github Repository? I'd love to take a look to your LegacySystem classes.

11. Meltdown

Meltdown

Hi could you please let me know in which document and which links are specifically not working so we can fix it?

Thanks

12. AndreaP

AndreaP

The links I'm talking about are inside the PDFs that can be downloaded at the page "http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/porting", like "PortingTipsWindowsStoreUnity01.pdf" and "PortingTipsWindowsPhoneUnity01.pdf".
    I'm using Foxit Reader to open them and I can see blue, underlined words that I think are supposed to be links, but they are not clickable.

13. Meltdown

Meltdown

Which specific links in the PDF's can you not click on? On what page and on which PDF file?

14. AndreaP

AndreaP

Oops. Sorry for wasting your time. I just discovered that the fault was on my side, caused by some settings on Foxit Reader. I can click them now.

15. HLo

HLo

I'm new to Unity and game programming. Can anyone please tell if it is possible to write code in JavaScript, instead of C#, for developing games for Windows 8?

16. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

If by JavaScript, you mean UnityScript, then yes.

17. pansapiens

pansapiens

Just a note: you may have issues downloading the porting PDFs on http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/porting if you are using the (mostly reliable) HTTP Everywhere extension, which changes the scheme from http to https for some domains. Different issue to the one AndreaP mentions, but it caught me out :oops:

18. phamdinhnam

phamdinhnam

you need study c#, i think c# is easy use

19. alvachristi

alvachristi

Great post you have shared. Very useful for me as I am new to windows.The boom of windows apps is increasing due to its security as compared to Android.

20. goat

goat

That might be so but they had better start curating their apps. While it may be legal to create quiz and such apps that use the intellectual property of others and create apps that in the store front look visually look so similar to other successful apps that inexperienced users might think they are the same app; it is very uncool and will lead to the quick rejection of Windows Store and Windows Phone and Tablet style hardware.

Who cares if Windows is secure if the security and moral breaches in the Windows Store defeats the very purpose of Windows security to begin with?

And Unity, now that even GooglePlay is requiring IARC certificates, it's time Unity modernize and rate their curated with Y, G, PG, or and their international equivalents for asset store content on offer for users, most free and judging from the forums, most of non-consenting age, to filter out by rating.

And now I'm distracted from the real reason I came to the forums today to begin with and it wasn't to babysit megalithic corporations.

21. Honest

Honest

Hi,

Is there any update to how to setup Unity 4.6.x + for Windows Mobile 8.1?
    Its a bit a mess for someone new. Why so few people is active on this post?

22. goat

goat

This is the general gist, see link below:

http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/porting

Generally, if you are using no 3rd party DLLs and have proper drivers for your HW you won't have a problem (I tried but my HW drivers have bug that the HW manufacturer said they won't be fixing).

23. IndieFist

IndieFist

Well some links are down or are changed, but very usefull all, thank you.

24. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Updated some of the non working links, cheers

IndieFist likes this.
  25. IndieFist

IndieFist

I`m searching for some examples or something to port my game to windows.
    I have tested and is working on a device, with onesignal, analytics and inapp.
    But i cant find something or examples to use microsoft sdk for ads.

26. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Updated Windows Store examples link, they're now placed in bit bucket, so if you find a bug in a sample, you can provide a fix for it by making a pull request.

27. nk-paramlabs

nk-paramlabs

Where are the porting guides :(, all the time i am getting "Porting guides coming soon", please help me. Thanks in advance. Is this very complex question ?, i am beginner to unity, sorry for asking this silly question.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  28. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

29. Helladah

Helladah

Hi, i need a UWP SDK, cause when i want to build my game for the platform tells me that i have not a right SDK, and i dont know how to import it, anyone can helps me, please?

30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You can either install UWP SDK via Visual Studio, or download it directly from here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive

31. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Is there nothing more recent? I'm hitting several issues and every guide out there is basically for Unity 5 and VS2015! Things have changed a great deal since then. I've managed to get as far as getting code running on the Xbox One but there are numerous issues like complaints of missing build tools.

Tarrag likes this.