Search Unity

Getting started with unity... and everything I see is terrible!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by nerdnils, Dec 7, 2017.

1. nerdnils

nerdnils

Hi there,

i just got started with unity. I wen through the tutorials with that blue running man. Those are full of bugs! You have to enter some numbers to repostion objects, changing speed, etc. But sometimes the description is wrong and sometimes the numbers you have to enter are wrong.
    For example in the last tutorial you have to reposition a box with a z-value of 10. That's what would be right and that is what the explanation says. But the only number being accepted to go on is 100! So that box is not even in the level anymore. Where is the quality assurance? There is no way anybody has tested those tutorials.
    Another issue is once I have downloaded these tutorials there is no way to delete them in the gui. So where does unity save them so that I can delete them by hand?
    So I thought the developers had many typos in the tutorials unity has such a good reputation just get started... So I created a new project, click around, play with some options...

This far I am using unity for about 45minutes and it crashed on me with a memory access error each 3times. I didn't even have something fancy in it I only clicked around and changed some options, I had nothing in it! It even crashed on me once while I was entering the name for the project I was about to create(WOW!). Not reproducable, though. I just started it again and it didn't crash(at this point, it crashed somewhere else). From such a good reputation I had expected something way more stable.

But I am still giving unity a chance so I keep going on and try to import some models. Start with something simple... and now I am here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/import-from-blender-faulty.507823/

Unity 2017.2

I really hope unity will work smoother once I get to know it better. From what I have seen so far I can't understand the good reputation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Can you explain what you mean by this? What exactly happens when you try to enter a 10?

How did you download them? It's been a while since I did a tutorial, but when I did, I downloaded the files via Firefox, which saved them exactly where I told it to save them. And when I didn't want them anymore, I grabbed them and dragged them to the trash.

That of course really does sound like a bug, and you're right, it's not typical for Unity. I haven't had Unity crash on me in ages, except when I accidentally coded an infinite loop, and then of course it was a freeze rather than a crash (it's important to note that in debug mode, your game runs in the same process as Unity itself).

Out of curiosity, what platform are you running on? I've heard the Linux version is less stable than the Mac and Windows versions.

Yep, clearly you've had a rough start. I hope it smoothes out for you too!

3. nerdnils

nerdnils

Today I tried to use unity again. I can't get it to work longer than half an hour without it crashing and having a memory access error. Really? I can't work like that, how to get this thing stable? I do not even test a game, just clicking in the options or in the settings for a shader or camera or something and it crashes. No debug mode, not running my game, nothing.

Nothing, it just does not go on like I did not do what I have to do in the tutorial. Try it.

I clicked on download in unity. Where you open the projects you can download the tutorials.

I am using archlinux. You are saying the linuxversion is not stable at all? I just can't believe this.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Linux support is an experimental feature.

Post here with verifiable and reproducible issues and follow up with a bug report. Avoid generic rants.

Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.
  5. nerdnils

nerdnils

The sad thing is that it is not reproducable. It always crashes on other parts. Sometimes it crashes when entering a number, sometimes when moving the camera.
    And I never have any error whatsoever. Always memory access error. This is nothing which a programmer can reproduce :( It is annoying only. If there were better error avoiding or errormessages in the code which unity would give me, I could perhaps report something more useful :( I would be happy to.

I didn't mean to be rude, I am sorry if I sounded like I have been.

The bugs in the tutorials are reproducable, though. Just try to get through them, you can't avoid those.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Most people get through them just fine. But most people aren't using Linux. I still don't know what you mean about not changing a Y value — we wouldn't get very far doing anything if that didn't work (but it does). As @LaneFox said, if you find a reproducible bug, report it. And if you just want to get on with developing your game, you should probably consider using a Mac or Windows box.

7. hopeful

hopeful

I think the very first time I downloaded Unity was onto Ubuntu back in like 2013, and it mostly worked fine, except for some issues with occasionally failing to redraw something in the editor. That was using Unity under WINE, not a version of Unity written for Linux (which didn't exist back then). I decided I needed to move to Windows to use Unity, and I've not been back to Linux since. But there's got to be something really wrong with your installation for it to be behaving like that.

As for deleting downloads ... yeah, Unity is kind of primitive in asset management. They'll help you download it and find it for import, but aside from that you're on your own. People in the Linux threads can help you locate your asset archive so you can delete unneeded assets.

8. methos5k

methos5k

I think he might have been talking about the few new helper tutorials that Unity has added. In those, they "guide" you about what to do and how to move on, etc.. But I believe you have to enter the values they're telling you; it's to get a feel for how things work. I tried one of them to see how it was =)

Oh, and for the download of that, I'm fairly positive that the tutorial was just in the same folder as my Unity Projects. :)

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The new helper tutorials - I strongly doubt that they have ever been tested on Linux as the support is experimental.
    But meanwhile, check out the learn section link above and do things old school - probably have better results.

10. nerdnils

nerdnils

That's how it should be but isn't ;)

11. methos5k

methos5k

I only did one of them and mine worked. Can't speak for the others ;)

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're one of the few cases of severe problems. If a handful of people having similar issues meant that a product couldn't have a good reputation then Linux itself would never have made it past the early stages. Many of us still remember the early days with every distro having problems. Nothing was even close to ready for the masses.

My recommendation is to start posting your problems in the Linux Editor section. Just understand that there aren't that many people actively using Unity's editor on Linux. You may need to wait a few days for a response but from the looks of it most threads get one.

https://forum.unity.com/forums/linux-editor.93/

Linux editor support moved from an experimental feature to beta back in the Unity 5.5 days. That said it's still very much not ready for production in the same sense that Debian experimental is not ready for production.

You just barely missed the latest release. Unity 2017.3 became available on Wednesday. See if that fixes it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...s-and-known-issues.350256/page-2#post-3313793