Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting started with SRP

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by MarcoGiordanoMPC2, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MarcoGiordanoMPC2

MarcoGiordanoMPC2

Apologies for the hopefully trivial question, I have been trying to start investigating the SRP for our needs. The problem is I don't seem to be able to get started. I am following the small guide on github, but there is not option to create a scriptable render pipeline, the only options that I get on the menu are :
    Create->Render Pipeline ->Test ... (with stuff unrelated)
    Create->Rendering-> HD render asset, HD render resource.

I am mainly focusing on the HD pipe. Once I create the asset, I have no way to assign the hand written render pipeline to it. I have downloaded the samples from the SRPBlog repo, and there there is a cs script with the same name of the render pipeline, which is somehow linked to the asset, which then display the green color option showed in the blog post.

Am I missing some steps? Do I need specific versions of unity beta and or SRP/Post processing packages? I have tried with both beta 8-10, both using package manager and manually cloning the code with no luck. Any tip on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

M.

Atair likes this.
  2. Atair

Atair

i am also struggling to get a good overview, and what helped a bit is Keijiros minimal render pipeline example
    He creates the Asset in code from a class that extends Renderpipeline..
    Still some explanation that connects all the pieces floating around this forum and github would be nice

3. MarcoGiordanoMPC2

MarcoGiordanoMPC2

@Atair, thanks man that s actually helped, Would be good to get a proper runthrough both editor end code side. Took me a while to get it running between installing and getting the corks to work. Also because we have limited access to internet meaning can't just install the packages or do a git clone. Either way thanks.

4. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

It is not that hard, you already mentioned it.
    If you have the option to create the assets, it is already imported.
    Create a new hd render pipeline asset and drag it into the render pipeline field in project settings -> graphics.

That's all.

5. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

You can create an pipeline asset in Assets/Create/Rendering/High Definition Render Pipeline Asset

In 2018.1b12 and forward you will get project tempates. Just create a new project and select HD RP template. Should be all set to go.

6. Player7

Player7

Ah so that does work.. I just tried 2018.1b12 and tried to setup Lightweight render pipeline by installing the package manually in a new project with just the default 3D template(didn't bother checking the others until reading the above post).. still a S*** ton of errors and not self explanatory setup at all.. the biggest issue seems to be 2018.1b12 and the template for lightweight installs 1.1.2-preview (which does seem to work)... while the version available in the package manager is 1.1.1-preview...doesn't work in 2018.1b12 tons of errors... why isn't it updated?

7. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure if I follow. Are you getting errors in the HD or LW RP template? I just checked with 2018.1b12 the LWRP template and it works fine. The package manager manifest points correctly to 1.1.2-preview which is what I expected.

8. Player7

Player7

No errors in the template version of LW RP (it install 1.1.2-preview fine) ... however doing a '3D' default template in 2018.1.b12.. the package manager only shows 1.1.1-preview...and installing that gives a bunch of errors if you try set it up and play. Which is weird.. seeing as 1.1.2-preview is clearly out and working if setup using the template.

9. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@Player7 Thanks for bringing this up. I've just checked and the 1.1.2-preview is not in the production registry yet, that's why you are not seeing it in the UI. I'll poke around to found if this is intentional.

The special thing about the LWRP templates is that it outputs a manifest file in the Packages folder of your project that declares LWRP 1.1.2-preview and points to the staging registry.

10. MarcoGiordanoMPC2

MarcoGiordanoMPC2

@FelipeLira, my main issue is that I was not able to have the "connection" between my SRP and the asset, so whatever option I had set like fill color in my SRP would not be reflected in the asset, if I created the asset using the standard unity one. By creating manually in code it seems it links fine, if you can explain that "link" a bit more would be appreciated.

PS: I have it working by crating the asset from code.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018