Search Unity

Getting started: Lego Mini tutorial stuck at "rotate the platform"

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by cbfunky, Sep 11, 2020.

1. cbfunky

cbfunky

Hey guys, I've googled the heck out of this, but no one else seems to have had this issue:

I've just downloaded and installed 2019.4.10f1 (the wizard automatically picked this for some reason, not the 2020) and started the lego tutorial from the hub.

The first tutorial part worked fine. The second one, where you have to add a platform gets stuck on the "rotate the platform" task. I can rotate the platform however much I want, the task doesn't check off and the "Next" button is greyed out, so I can't advance to the next step.

I tried restarting the whole thing, but same result. Any ideas?

2. alex-ander-mj

alex-ander-mj

Same problem here! Would love some help! :)

3. alex-ander-mj

alex-ander-mj

I just exited and restarted the tutorial and that gave it a fix :)

holyman241 likes this.
  4. cbfunky

cbfunky

Well, as I wrote in my original post, that didn't work for me :(

5. yhwhey

yhwhey

I had the same problem. The fix for me was to not do anything in the tutorial that you aren't specifically instructed to do.
    I was playing around with the positioning of the platform using the move and rotate hotkeys and that seemed to throw off the tutorial...

6. cbfunky

cbfunky

Yeah, I noticed it screws up stuff if you do this. I added a bridge instead of a platform, since I didn't notice there was a specific asset called platform, so maybe that effed it up :/
    oh well

7. mynoceans

mynoceans

Using 2019.4.15f1 as advised via 'learning pathway'. Same problem happened immediately in the first tutorial. Can stop spinning by mouse click outside scene view. Sometimes, inconsistently, can use mouse to rotate screen as it is suppose to work, except must use right button and reverts to spinning after 1 sec or less. Ignored and went to 2nd tutorial and same issue (above fixes do not work for me) and I have no idea.

8. mynoceans

mynoceans

Starting the tutorials is buggy. Required several attempts of removing the project from the list in the hub (when applicable) and deleting project from file location (if it had been save), then restarting from scratch. Got an apparent, very temporary fix on one occasion (seconds or less). It finally worked. It turned out that the mouse actually works differently from what I thought was correct in the previous post. Very time consuming. Now it appears stable and I can proceed with the tutorial (still at beginning of first tutorial). I will see if it lasts.

9. mynoceans

mynoceans

Got to tutorial 6 "Customize you game" and the spin returned ... %#@^$@^ ... for no apparent reason. I closed project and reopened project and found I had to restart from scratch. Not only was the problem not fixed but all my 'saves' had 'disappeared' and there was no project in the projects folder

10. tjhinn

tjhinn

I'm stuck in the same step, but different problem. I am able to drag a Platform out into the Scene. But the Platform object is invisible for some reason. I can see the outline of the platform, but the thing is invisible and does not show during gameplay. I am able to move the outline, rotate it and all that but it is still invisible.

Help appreciated.

11. Design751

Design751

I found it was taking input from a joystick which was making the character spin unexpectedly

I looked at the MinifigController.cs file and saw that Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal") was always returning a non zero value, causing the character to spin.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    JingoJones likes this.
  12. JingoJones

JingoJones

Just discovered this as well. Had PS4 controller connected. Disconnected it and problem was solved instantly. No restarts required.