Search Unity

Question Getting Started, guidance would be appreciated

Discussion in 'VR' started by eccie, Apr 26, 2022.

1. eccie

eccie

Hello all

I had this idea i'm keen to get stuck into as a hobby/project and i was hoping you lot with experience would potentially give me some starting guidance.

Essentially i used to frequent a nightclub in the 90s/00's that became my second home, i want to be able to recreate it virtually in such a way that will allow anyone to be able to move through it and experience it with some background music (or a live stream playing in the background)

I dont want to try go full tilt and get all complicated, but maybe start off small by creating one of the dancefloors with the dj booth/speakers/lights etc and anyone with a VR headset (not looking at doing motion controllers/character dancing and whatnot etc), or a pc/mobile would be able to "take a tour"

Ideally if i could get this right, then down the line i would want to try expand on it...

Is unity the right piece of kit to be using to design the "building" etc

I have used Unity before a tiny bit, and am well aware i may have a steep learning curve.... i just first and foremost want to make sure i dont sink 100 hours into this only to find im limited by the engine..

Any advice/help would be appreciated

2. arfish

arfish

Hello,

With a 100 hour budget you shouldn't expect inventing so many new features. Start with some demo projects for the headset you intend to build for, and see how it's done, and if it contains all game logic, and controller inputs for your game. And try to build it, and install it to the headset. Then just modify the scene, replacing props, and backgrounds, and so on with your own 3d models, or others, which may include optimizing them, changing textures, colors, and so on.

This one for example for HTC, or Oculus:

Or this one for Carboard:
    https://developers.google.com/cardboard/develop/unity/quickstart