Search Unity

Getting Started But I Don't Know How..

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by LordDaniel, Sep 13, 2018.

1. LordDaniel

LordDaniel

So I got my Oculus rift this month, played with it, pretty cool device, and I decided to start program stuff for it.
    The problem is I got zero idea how to start.
    So first of all i went for Unity and C# as it is something i played with a lot in the last years, so i have some experience here.
    There is SteamVR plugin, but It seems to not get updated anymore. some of the stuff there doesnt even work.
    There is VRTK and NewtonVR but both of them too dont get support anymore ( VRTK on life support, and Newton didn't got new commit for months).
    I prefer to not use closed platform solutions like Oculus SDK.
    And even if i look for guides all of them old, like 2-3 years and meanwhile a lot of stuff seems to be changed ( Unity has now VR built in support? Am I suppose to use it?).

Basically I want to know what tools and guides do I need, for programming a 2018 VR game.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Disclaimer - I've only messed with a Google cardboard as I haven't got one of the fancy headsets yet.

Anyway unity sure can do this stuff, and I think there are a variety of free plug-ins to use that help solve the basics of tracking for the head and controllers.

I'd say start experimenting with a few of those free plugins, and if you run into issues, try some of the others! Someone else may come along with a stronger vr background and better answers...

3. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

First take a step back from VR. Do the Unity tutorials! I don't know why everyone thinks they can just start making games as if you need no experience. Start with the roll-a-ball tutorial and work your way through all of them. You will use nearly everything in the tutorials. The only way I would skip the tutorials is if you are in fact a game dev working for a studio and have schooling and industry work.. After you do that then come back here and we will be glad to help you with any issues.

Your initial question has already been answered on numerous forums as well.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

kavanavak and JoeStrout like this.
  4. krougeau

krougeau

VRTK, Oculus SDK and the SteamVR SDK are all still in active development and use, but you're better off downloading them directly than from the Asset Store as it isn't always up to date. VRTK is available on GitHub and also has a pretty active Slack chat community, lots of great example scenes & tutorials to help get you started. It's just a handy wrapper for other SDKs though, so depending on your approach you may still need to add the Oculus or SteamVR SDKs to your project, and they're available from their respective developer websites.

Beyond that, you should certainly have a look at Unity's own XR tutorial selections if you haven't already. You'll find there here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/xr