Search Unity

Question Getting Scan Information

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by eddi12345, Jul 28, 2020.

1. eddi12345

eddi12345

Hello,
    is there any way to retrieve input data from scans ?
    As far as I know MARS will have a mobile companion app in the future that sends the scan information from the phone into Unity. Could you elaborate more on what kind of data format and what kind of information the scan will feed Unity ?
    My Start Up wants to build a tool on top of Unity MARS for VR and we're currently in the research phase. Is it okay that we use this forum for question or is there a way to get in contact with you personally as well ?
    Thank You.

2. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Hi there!

You are correct that this will be a feature of the upcoming MARS companion apps for smartphones and AR HMDs. Which platform are you most interested in? At the moment, it is possible to extract a scan from Magic Leap using the Dotty Mesh app, or on Hololens via the Device Portal.

Armed with an .OBJ of your scan, you can use it to create a MARS environment prefab, and extract planes. For large/complex scans, our plane extraction feature can run out of memory or fail, so please make sure you have saved any work in Unity before attempting this. If you run into trouble, you will have to decimate or reduce the size of the mesh in order to extract planes.

With the release of the companion apps for AR/VR HMDs, we will be streamlining this workflow. If you are interested in joining the upcoming companion app beta program, please let us know!

3. eddi12345

eddi12345

Thank you for your answer!
    And sorry for my late reply.
    I'd love to join the beta. The earlier my team can get its hands on the app, the earlier we can test our VR app.
    You said the app will also come out for VR devices. Does that mean I could scan my environment with an oculus quest?