Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Getting light reflection on fog particles

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by BigRookGames, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

Does anyone know what might be causing this? It is a lit shader in shader graph but don't expect it to reflect like it is in the video. Any idea on how to get rid of the reflection?

2. U2-84

U2-84

I'm sorry for bringing up this old post, but I have the same problem with the particles coming from here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840/

They seem to keep a specular property even if you lower to zero anything related to specular/metallic. The problem gets more noticeable (and easy to reproduce) if there are reflection probes in the scene, since those particles literally reflect the sorrounding environment. The bigger the particles are (think about a smoke particle getting larger during its lifetime), the more noticeable is the unwanted reflection behaviour.

A fix would be appreciated, since they are the only particles really working with HDRP (the built-in ones have the never fixed issue of "color over lifetime" alpha property not working - they don't fade).

I tried to make a few changes in the Shader Graph editor: I somehow managed to get rid of that specular behaviour, but now they tend to get green-ish over time (another old issue...), so I guess it's not the right way.

Particles are really a pain with Unity HDRP. I wonder why they get somehow ignored by the dev team.

3. haibu

haibu

Still getting this issue using HDRP 2021.3.25f1. I have clouds and smoke particles using the sample LitSoft. There seems to be no option to adjust smoothness of these materials so they all appear shiny at a particular angle.

Edit: Actually I just didn't look hard enough.. just opened the shader editor for the material and found Smoothness defaulted to 1 for some reason... genius. :rolleyes: Set it to 0 fixed it.

Last edited: May 26, 2023