Search Unity

Getting horrible performance after upgrading to Android 5.0 Lollipop

Discussion in 'Android' started by VizmystechLLC, Nov 21, 2014.

1. VizmystechLLC

VizmystechLLC

I've been working on a project for a little over 6 months and its nearing completion. I use a Nexus 4 as my main testing device and the performance has been fantastic. Every scene has a smooth 60fps (sometimes a little over) and the game has been highly optimized. Until now....

A few days ago I updated my Nexus 4 to Android 5.0. When I tested my game, I found that the performance had dropped dramatically. My frame rates have dropped to around 25-40. Sometimes it even dips down to 14fps. This is very weird because the same levels (no changes were made) were buttery smooth before updating.

So far I've tried:

1. Updating my Android SDK with all of the most recent packages.

2. Updating my target Android version to 21 in my Android manifest file.

Neither of these have helped. I am still getting low low frame rates.

Is anyone else getting bad performance after updating to Android Lollipop? Is there anything else I should try that may boost my performance back to where it was?

2. 128bit

128bit

The device encryption is by default enabled on your nexus since android 5.0 il think. That drops performance of the phone in general, benchmarks are bad, do you may can try disable encryption and try again your app?

3. VizmystechLLC

VizmystechLLC

After further investigation it seems to be a performance drop across the whole phone. I tried out minecraft pocket edition and it was also running much slower than usual.

I'll have to try disabling the encryption. Thanks for the help.