Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting events and tracking multiple objects in ARFoundation

Discussion in 'AR' started by shellyalon, Oct 16, 2019.

1. shellyalon

shellyalon

Hello,
    I am having a bit of trouble with understanding the ARFoundation API.
    Unlike the ARKit 2 API, which is nice and cozy, I don't get where I'm supposed to get to get any info about anything. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful forever (or for a year at least!)

To start with. I need to track 4 different objects (i've got ARObjects from the Apple App) in a room and instantiate 4 different prefabs. How do I do that? Do I need multiple AR Sessions? Multiple Session Origins? Multiple TrackedObjectManagers?

Then. I want to get the instantiated prefab. I couldn't even find the place in the API where it is being instantiated. Where can I get that?

So. Now, where can I subscribe to the events of the tracked objects? I'd like to update the instantiated GameObject each time when the tracked Object is being moved. Can I get a) an event, and b) the delta.position or something from the tracked object?

I want to achieve something pretty simple. With the ARKit 2 sample projects from bitbucket, it worked perfectly - and I understood the code. I am now searching for the equivalents of it in ARFoundation. I haven't found any good example projects or answers for my questions in the documentation. I'm pretty lost.

Can you point me to the right directions? Thanks <3

Below is the arkit2 code, just for reference to what I mean.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // CODE FROM ARKIT 2
    2. // This is so simple, I love it. What are the equivalents of this in ARFoundation.
    4.     [SerializeField]
    5.     private ARReferenceObjectAsset referenceObjectAsset;
    7.     [SerializeField]
    8.     private GameObject prefabToGenerate;
    10.     private GameObject objectAnchorGO;
    12.     // THOSE EVENTS
    13.     void Start () {
    14.         UnityARSessionNativeInterface.ARObjectAnchorAddedEvent += AddObjectAnchor;
    15.         UnityARSessionNativeInterface.ARObjectAnchorUpdatedEvent += UpdateObjectAnchor;
    16.         UnityARSessionNativeInterface.ARObjectAnchorRemovedEvent += RemoveObjectAnchor;
    18.     }
    20.     void AddObjectAnchor(ARObjectAnchor arObjectAnchor)
    21.     {
    22.         Debug.Log ("object anchor added");
    23.         if (arObjectAnchor.referenceObjectName == referenceObjectAsset.objectName) {
    24.             Vector3 position = UnityARMatrixOps.GetPosition (arObjectAnchor.transform);
    25.             Quaternion rotation = UnityARMatrixOps.GetRotation (arObjectAnchor.transform);
    27.             // THIS REFERENCE
    28.             objectAnchorGO = Instantiate<GameObject> (prefabToGenerate, position, rotation);
    29.         }
    30.     }
    32.     //THIS
    33.     void UpdateObjectAnchor(ARObjectAnchor arObjectAnchor)
    34.     {
    35.         Debug.Log ("object anchor updated");
    36.         if (arObjectAnchor.referenceObjectName == referenceObjectAsset.objectName) {
    37.             objectAnchorGO.transform.position = UnityARMatrixOps.GetPosition (arObjectAnchor.transform);
    38.             objectAnchorGO.transform.rotation = UnityARMatrixOps.GetRotation (arObjectAnchor.transform);
    39.         }
    41.     }

unityunity