Search Unity

Getting error "Rebuilding the library because the assetdatabase could not be found."

Discussion in 'Asset Database' started by NathanGroovy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. NathanGroovy

NathanGroovy

I'm helping someone out with their project. I downloaded it from a .RAR file and tried to extract everything. When I try to open the scene, i get the error in the console window:

"Rebuilding the library because the assetdatabase could not be found."

And none of my assets are in the project or scene. I've tried extracting the files multiple times, and it seems like it either misses and overlooks certain files or has trouble getting all of them because I see that they all aren't extracted, but I don't know what else to do. Please help!

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

The files in your Library folder are machine-specific. Delete your Library folder (in the same folder as your Assets folder) and launch the project again to rebuild it.

If you use source control, you should ignore your entire Library folder.

Hope this helps =)

3. NathanGroovy

NathanGroovy

still not working, I get the same error when it tries to rebuild the file. Could it be that it's corrupted?

4. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

I'm not sure, have you checked that you're opening the project in the same version of Unity? Try deleting "Temp" and "Obj" folders too, if they exist.

5. jay_ns

jay_ns

Did you find a solution? I'm having a similar problem

6. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

Are you missing meta files? Unity will not be able to find your assets if you don't have the same meta files Unity generated when you were creating the scene.

If you can't see meta files, you may need to go to Edit->Project Settings->Editor and change "version control mode" to "visible meta files"

7. moscas99

moscas99

I'm having the same problem but now that I realize, I didn't try to delete the Lybrary folder outside Unity and then open it. And right now I won't try because it wold take longer to copy the project again than fixing it, I think. But you can try and see, if you haven't already.

Also, I think one day I accidentaly deleted a file outside unity and then pressed Ctrl + z. Maybe that's why I am having this problem because I haven't changed machines, so I think deleting the folder won't do anything for me, I guess the Library folder doesn't match with that something that I did when deleting the file.

8. maskrtnik01

maskrtnik01

Hello,

I have similar problem too. After reinstalling Windows, I got this message once. Now I don't get the error, but my project looks like empty. I have checked project folder, the assets are there, .meta files too. What to do now? This is critical project for me, so I need it working ASAP. Unfortunately I don't have any backups.

9. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

Your assets folder is pretty much your entire project, minus the settings you've set through Project Settings. If you haven't lost anything from your assets folder, then your project is not empty. Find your scene in your assets folder and open it.

If you still think your project is empty, I need you to be more specific about what is empty before I can offer more help.

10. sylde

sylde

I had the same issue (project "looks empty"), so I ran the following test:
    Take a working Unity folder, copy-paste it to a new location, remove the Library folder from the new location, and open the new location in Unity. Unity tells "Rebuilding Library because the asset database could not be found!", and...

All the assets are there, but the scene is empty... No single gameobject except Main camera and Directional light, both of them having been reseted to default settings...

That made me understand the message of Gambit: when it cannot access the Library folder, Unity creates a new scene (without telling you, and that's the issue! ;) ).
    But your scene is still ok in your assets folder: just File/Open Scene it! ;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Ctanner1, DonMinah, Danief_ and 4 others like this.
  11. HCB008

HCB008

OMG. something so simple, and makes so much sense. Thanks for helping out noobs like me!

12. galyan1997

galyan1997

[QUOTE = "Gambit-MSplitz, post: 3184540, member: 841293"] Я не уверен, вы проверяли, открываете ли вы проект в той же версии Unity? Попробуйте также удалить папки «Temp» и «Obj», если они существуют. [/ QUOTE]

Удалил "Библиотека" и "Темп" и вроде как заработало правильно.

13. ganiyusikiru

ganiyusikiru

I am having the same issue here too. Any solution?

14. Chethan007

Chethan007

I just restarted Unity and the error went off. Just try this

Smit_Studiokrew and aviralgoel like this.
  15. mi_sanch

mi_sanch

THANK YOU!