Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution" on windows build

Discussion in 'Windows' started by zohaib_javed, Jul 22, 2019.

1. zohaib_javed

zohaib_javed

After switching our project from Unity 2017.4.16 to 2019.1.9.4, we started getting Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution on random systems on Windows build. We Tried following things to fix the issue

- Tried different resolution and presentation settings in Unity player settings.
    - Clearing registry
    - Decreasing the display resolution of the system.
    - Switching to Unity 2019.1.9.11.

but were still unable to fix the issue. The only way we were able to fix the issue was to switch Graphic API for windows from OpenGLCore to Direct3D11.

Created an example project
    In example project we have switched the Graphic API for windows to OpenGLCore by default. Create a build on Windows platform and run the application on similar specs machine.

Attachments
    1. ResolutionTest example project.
    2. Specs.txt contains System specs.
    3. ResolutionTest.PNG contains screenshot of the error.

Attached Files:

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

3. zohaib_javed

zohaib_javed

Thanks for the quick reply. I read the post you mentioned. We encountered this issue in two scenarios. One is refresh rate issue which you have mentioned and other one does not depend on refresh rate. Following are the details of second case:

I have a laptop and monitor. My monitor has two refresh rates 59 and 60. By default it is set to 59. I get "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution" on my machine only when I set my display to second screen only (which is my monitor). Monitor has two refresh rates 59 and 60 and resolution is 2560 x 1440. Issue occurs on both refresh rates.

In unity resolution and presentation settings I have set the FullScreenMode to Windowed and default resolution to 1600 x 1140. If I just update the resolution to 1920 x 1080 then my build just runs fine.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That is the same underlying cause for that issue. Even when you don't explicitly set a refresh rate, we calculate one for you, and that goes wrong when using OpenGL.

5. zohaib_javed

zohaib_javed

Cool. Thanks a lot.

6. SamiRehman1997

SamiRehman1997

i am facing this issue even i'm not using OpenGlCore default DX11 i tried to switch to DX12 but no luck giving me same error .unity 2018 is working fine tried lot of games they are working fine too arkham city,asylum,bioshock etc, when i report this problem to unity they said "we can't reproduce this problem problem will be in drivers" i tried every driver available for GPU. Not to mention i break my windows twice in this changing driver process
    my laptop is lenovo W520

quadro 2000M 2GB
    laptop res is:- 1080X1920
    i7 2nd gen upload_2019-8-1_14-49-46.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019