Search Unity

Getting camera image pixels with ARCore SDK

Discussion in 'AR' started by jariwake, Sep 10, 2018.

1. jariwake

jariwake

I need to get an access to the pixels of the device camera when using ARCore SDK (1.4) in Unity (2018.2.5f1).

I found examples that show how this should be possible by using TextureReader and its OnImageAvailableCallback event. But it never gets fired. I debugged it and it seems that the following line in TextureReader.cs causes pixelBuffer to always be zero and therefore the
    OnImageAvailableCallback never gets called:

IntPtr pixelBuffer = m_TextureReaderApi.AcquireFrame(m_ImageBufferIndex, ref bufferSize);

I have added the TextureReader to my scene (to the First Person Camera gameobject) and subscribed to the
    OnImageAvailableCallback event in my custom script.

Is the TextureReader somehow broken? I would need the grayscale camera frame because I want to do some computer vision stuff on it.

In ARFoundation I am able to do this (although it is really slow) with the Graphics.Blit() and RenderTexture, but I cannot use ARFoundation because it currently lacks the support for Image Targets (which I need in my project). And Vuforia is out of the question because it is currently lacking support for continuous autofocus.

Edit: It seems that the TextureReader has been replaced with Frame.CameraImage.AcquireCameraImageBytes(). Guys at Google just havent removed TextureReader from the ARcore SDK yet, which causes confusion..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. smokegun

smokegun

Hey,

I am trying to figure out the same thing. I need the pixels to combine QR reading.
    Did you get it to work? and can you please post your snippet?

3. Hooligan-Labs

Hooligan-Labs

I'm also interested in this, also for QR code reading.