Search Unity

Getting bogus GameObject error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zumwalt, Feb 8, 2021.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt

So, this just started and I can't track it down, i have even done a full re-import all, am looking for help on understanding how to force the engine to tell me what and where this is so i can fix it. I literally do not have a GameObject called "Missing Prefab (Dummy)"

I am using Unity 2020.2.3f1

This is the full error it shows, any idea how to track down this problem during build would be greatly appreciated. The game runs in the editor no issues, I only get this problem during build.
    ============================================================================
    Object GameObject (named 'Missing Prefab (Dummy)') has multiple entries of the same MeshCollider component. Removing it!
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

Object GameObject (named 'Missing Prefab (Dummy)') has multiple entries of the same MeshCollider component.

Build completed with a result of 'Failed' in 103 seconds (102909 ms)

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 4 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x002ca] in <a936841cea2147a2a55ea27843fa46ae>:0
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00080] in <a936841cea2147a2a55ea27843fa46ae>:0

2. zumwalt

zumwalt

Ok i found out when this happened but no solution, once you install BURST, this somehow gets added, removing BURST doesn't resolve the problem though, and BURST doesn't work it seems, it causes other build issues, still digging through this problem, but, i had to literally remove burst and do manual clean up of it for me to even be able to compile again.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. zumwalt

zumwalt

Further review, I can do a "Build" but can't do "Build and Run", after doing the build, i can go into the build folder and publish the build to the console, but "Build And Run" always terminates at about 50% during the build process, there is something fundamentally different between these two somehow, which makes no sense, they should be the same except the end result launch part. I still have not tracked down this "(Dummy)" object that was injected into the project from BURST

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm sorry you've had this issue. Please consider using source control. Git is free and there are tons of tutorials out there to help you set it up. Reverting any potential change like this that causes problems is trivial.

Here's how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Using fine-grained source control as you work to refine your engineering:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...grammer-example-in-text.1048739/#post-6783740

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

5. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks for the suggestion Kurt-Dekker, but i already use source control, plus i have snapshots along with a local SAN with sync, BURST adds a "dummy" object during compilation, oddly, you can't find this object, like anywhere, and reverting is not trivial, i wish it was, this only happened to me in 2020 Unity with BURST, it didn't happen in 2019 with BURST, i appreciate the links though, just not really a solution to this particular issue, since I do not create or use any "Dummy" named game object, this is something created by Unity's package of BURTS it seems, so you can not really trivialize a roll back that gets created on using Unity packages, can't use a feature when a feature breaks the product. This is almost narrowed down to a dummy camera object that is being used to help during compiling, then the object is not fully destroyed by Unity. Plus there seems to be 2 variants of this event, one in Build and one in Build And Run, each cause slightly different errors. Just another headache to work through, publishing pains.