Search Unity

Getting "Anchor Override" to work for reflection probes in HDRP?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by dgoyette, May 19, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm trying to use Anchor Override working, but so far it doesn't seem to do anything. I've got a cube over on the left side of the screen here, which I've given an Anchor Override of one of the cubes in the middle of the bright part of the scene:

upload_2020-5-18_21-22-57.png

The Mesh Renderer seems to confirm that it should be receiving reflections from the reflection probe I have there:

upload_2020-5-18_21-24-20.png

I've baked the reflection probe, and other objects within the volume of the reflection probe properly show their reflections. But it's not working with Anchor Override. The object I've assigned the anchor override to is just completely dark. It shows no change at all when assigning the anchor override.

What am I missing about using this feature? This is on HDRP 7.3.1 in a brand new project, so all default HDRP settings (except for having turned off the HDRI sky).

AntonioModer likes this.
  2. dgoyette

dgoyette

Still curious whether this is a bug, or I'm using it wrong, or this just isn't implemented in HDRP. I've just tried this with HDRP 7.4.1, and the behavior is the same. Using an Anchor Override doesn't seem to have any effect on the object.

Ultimately my goal is to allow specific objects to use a different reflection probe for their reflections, so that I can give highly metallic objects nice reflections without everything nearby also needing the same reflection intensity. I'm not sure this Anchor Override feature will quite work anyway, given that I probably don't want to override the light probes in the process.

3. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

I understand your confusion since it's not really documented anywhere.

I digged a little and anchor overrides for reflections probes is just not supported for HDRP, anchor position will only affect light probes.

It works in universal and built-in because they do per object reflection probe.

AntonioModer and dgoyette like this.
  4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Okay, thanks for the confirmation, and the digging.

It's too bad some of these properties are non-functional depending on the render pipeline, without the UI giving a warning or something. But maybe the Unity Engine doesn't give a hook for that sort of thing?

5. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

It can be modified, we just need to do it on the engine side (not HDRP). But I agree, it should have been noted somehwere.
    At least the tooltip will be updated to not include "reflection probes" because it can be confusing as you noticed !

AntonioModer and dgoyette like this.
  6. AntonioModer

AntonioModer

I need this !

7. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

A fix landed and will be available in a further version. The anchor override tooltip will no more mention reflection probes in HDRP, and the list of probes will not be displayed anymore.

AntonioModer, dgoyette and chap-unity like this.
  8. studentvz

studentvz

There is still no way to assign specific reflection probes to specific meshes as in built-in?

Edit: managed to do it with light layers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022