Search Unity

Getting a team, setting up contracts...

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by astracat111, Aug 24, 2018.

1. astracat111

astracat111

Hey there, I've recently finally gotten enough of a demo done to start bringing people in on my project, and I'm looking if anyone could point me in the right direction on setting up contracts that would set my team up to work on a profit share basis (preferably without hiring a lawyer).

More details...I've just about got a good demo ready and I know exactly what I need, mostly a few musicians, an assistant programmer and an assistant scene editor/level editor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Unknown33 likes this.
  2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

do you have management experience?

i honestly wouldn't bother trying to get something like this rolling without money to hire legit professionals. only way i could see it working is if its a group of friends who know eachother IRL.

Anybody serious is going to look at a profit share deal with contracts as a big red flag.

carking1996 and Martin_H like this.
  3. Teila

Teila

Not only that, but a few folks here had those unknown team members take off with assets and code. Be careful! I doubt you will find experienced programmers and level editors who will work for profit share. However, you might find folks who are learning, such as students or hobbiests who might go for it if they really like your game.

4. Unknown33

Unknown33

I would be willing to try my hand fulfilling some roles, specifically I could handle level editing. I may be able to assist with the programming as well, depending on what needs to be coded up.

I think the best thing we (people interested in profit share development) could do is network. It's clearly the only option for a lot of people without capital. Help on someone else's game, receive help on your game, etc. There seems to be a huge, gaping hole, in terms of organization for this type of collaboration.

astracat111 and Teila like this.
  5. Teila

Teila

There used to be a collaboration section on the forums but they moved everything to Connect. I am not sure any teams actually formed here. I worked on a profit share basis for a while on a game. Unfortunately, the game never was released but I still learned a great deal and I have all the work I did that can be used in another game. It was a lot of fun, much less pressure than working on paying contract. :) You really are not supposed to advertise here for jobs or collaboration (the OP did not really do that) so I am not sure where you could find people. Most of the people who I worked with were fans of the game who were deeply involved with the community. Best place to find folks..your own community.

astracat111 and Unknown33 like this.
  6. LMan

LMan

First, bone up.
    Practical law 101 For Indie Developers
    Practical Contract Law 201 for Indie Developers
    Practical IP Law for Indie Developers 301

Particularly note the specific things to be taken into account regarding music.

Then, if you aren't convinced that you should have a lawyer do this work, you can take your life in your hands and use contract().

But if you, or anyone who you ask to sign it do not fully, 100% understand the words it makes, don't use it.

angrypenguin and astracat111 like this.
  7. Unknown33

Unknown33

Wow, I never really considered the idea of who owns the IP if you work on a profit sharing basis. I guess that it needs to be clarified 100% up front.

Maybe it is worth contracting out the work just so everything is unquestionable.

8. astracat111

astracat111

I was thinking about that...maybe there would have to be another kind of trade involved as well, whether it be visual art or setting up a website, although I doubt any programmers would have any need to set up a website.

I recently had seen a gdc video on law and it does seem a bit tricky. Thanks for the advice everyone.

9. Teila

Teila

I worked under a contract that said if the game was not released by a specific time the assets/design/etc. all reverted back to the people who created them. Since the game was not released, I can keep my work.

Martin_H and Unknown33 like this.
  10. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Even better, there was the "Paid Work" area next to it. That made it super clear that the Collaborate area was like starting a band -- just some people working together who probably would have fun, learn, but not make much money. People who didn't know anything about legal stuff or money, didn't need to pretend they did.

I don't know if it worked, either. Did they mostly give an email? So there's no way to know how many responses they got? But I thought the idea for it was just great. I also understand, sort of, how they had to close it to try to get Unity Connect moving.

11. Teila

Teila

This was for hiring people who you would pay or contracting with someone. It is better in Connect.

The Collaborate was for free help or find some buddies to work on your game with you. It was not for paid work.

Not sure if anyone uses Connect to collaborate any more. Honestly, start a community. It is the best way.

TonyLi likes this.
  12. TonyLi

TonyLi

This sounds like really good advice. If you've put in the legwork already to have a website, a way to play or view the demo, and a way for people to communicate about the game, then not only will you start building a community of people interested in the game, but also potential collaborators will have more confidence about joining.