Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a Mac Build to another User (Downloadable)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChristopherJYou, Jun 11, 2021.

1. ChristopherJYou

ChristopherJYou

Hi,
    I am trying to send a Unity build out to users for some testing. For Windows Build, I just zip it up, put it on Google Drive, and they can access it fine.

However for Mac, there's quite a few issues. I create the Mac Build, move it to my Mac with a USB. I launch the application on my Mac and it works fine, no errors. I zip it up, and unzip it and that works fine too. I upload that zip file to Google Drive or Dropbox, download the file from the drive, and then Mac automatically unzips it for me. When I try to run that application (open with ctrl-click -> open), there's a lot of problems (audio stops working, scripts don't run, etc.). My guess is that Mac does something funky when it downloads a file and auto extracts it...

Anyone have any tips on how to approach this or a better way to get a downloadable Unity Build for Mac to another user? Sorry if this is the wrong place, I saw some other questions on similar topics here.

Thanks!

I'd be happy to attach the Unity Build but I don't think it would be too beneficial as it would just launch the application, and then you can't do much else haha.

2. xjjon

xjjon

Did you try to run `unzip myfile.zip` instead of the auto unzip from Mac?

What errors do you see? Did it crash? Must be some errors if things are missing right.

At least test flight is coming to Mac this year :oops:

3. ChristopherJYou

ChristopherJYou

Nothing crashed. I jsut tried without the auto unzip and it still doesn't work.

Player can still move around and walk, but I have NPCs they can speak to. If they walk up to them and press "F" to interact, instead of dialogue they just stand there and say nothing. They also can't interact with any UI like text buttons I have for dialogue.

I was playing around with and I found by Show Package Contents, going into MacOS and clicking the application Unix executable (thru terminal) it works fine... Any ideas why it works like that?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Best approach is to create an installer.

https://www.appcoda.com/distribute-macos-apps/