Search Unity

GetThreadContext failed

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ravel, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Fix this bug.
    I'm not going to change my antivirus product because of unity.

Thank you for your time.

Ravel.

2. Farfarer

Farfarer

If you set Unity to load the project wizard, rather than load up the full project, it should stop that error.

3. Ravel

Ravel

Nope didt fix it, anyway it really shouldnt happen anyways, so just a reminder to the unity devs to get this fixed.
    Now even the firewall disabling trick didnt do this. I still get this error and have to sign out of my user and re sign in(basically a restart) I guess there is some junk left in the temporary keys of unity

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Go to your security software settings and add unity to the exclusions.

ESET / NOD32 for example does heuristics on the thread that breaks multithread safety and throws this error due to the clashes. you can't do anything against it beside either disabling the heuristic or adding unity to the exclusion list

5. Ravel

Ravel

added unity editor path to the exclusions and i still get this error. Didnt find anything about heuristic... i am using ESET smart security 6

6. Ravel

Ravel

This error is stupid and because of that all of my projects are on hold.

7. Ravel

Ravel

I would like to continue my projects. Any hacks? Thanks!

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

check the eset settings and disable advanced heuristics. if that does not help on the current version anymore, then disable the thread runtime inspection or do what I did, kick it out and replace it with kaspersky.

I've lost countless hours due to ESET with up to 50 crashes of Unity and countless ones of other apps a day at worst.

9. Ravel

Ravel

the funny thing is that google replyed me with the oposite anwser (throw out kaspersky and start using eset) so i dont know if switching antivirus program will help, the funny thing is that there is nothig near close to a heuristics in the version i have ...i guess they renamed it then

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

The problem is that ESET while being more secure is seriously agressive.
    Its that invasive on the threads it inspects that it generates timing issues that do not exist actually without it messing it.

I've now idea how its called in the current ESET version but it was previously in the depth of the advanced settings in the ThreatSense settings, tab 2 or 3 where you configure the realtime guard for running applications and it only shows if you have eset running in expert mode, if you have the simplified surface all these settings don't even exist (given that seperation still exists etc)

in the end I never achieved the desired result that it did not crash Unity and other apps anymore which left me with only one option, removing it completely, as it was too financially impacting to me to fight an antivirus during my work all day basically.

but you might have more success nowadays by disallowing it to check running applications, by allowing it only to check files on start, stop, save, open kinda

(PS: The funny thing is on osx the whole problem is even worse. While you don't get thread context errors it can lock the whole box)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  11. Ravel

Ravel

Wow unlucky for osx users...
    ..well i think this behavior is not normal and i think it has something to do with the unity's code, i remember some one saying that unity's CG code has a dirty side or something like that. And the error i get is also coming from CG if i remember correctly, so i guess it's up to unity Dev's to solve this issue instead of changing antivirus programs or operating system(witch is totally stupid if you just want to use one silly program that will give you a error no matter what you do...)

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

It is related to unity yes but its no unity bug, its caused by the impact ESET has on the threading and the only way to fix it is getting rid of ESET or disable it overagressive guard.

you will do that anyway cause more sooner than later games will crash too. normally you just don't get a that well known error message which you can bring in direct relation to ESET
    ESET is superb and secure, but for gamers and devs its a major pita unluckily (so like UAC ;))

13. rrijal

rrijal

Goto to the desktop icon ....right click on it..then properties.... and change the compatibility to Run in WIn7.
    thts it.....this solved my problem.....

14. Ravel

Ravel

tryed this also, and the funny thing is that the new eset has a "gamer mode" for games :D but it doesnt work for unity lol, this is getting hillarious, just cant continue my work because of this stupid error that came from nowhere, i have been using eset for about the 5 last years, and unity for 2 years now, and never had this issue til now :D

15. PolyMad

PolyMad

Hi, I have this problem now. I don't use Kaspersky but just to be sure I added Unity to the exceptions in my antivirus, Avast.
    I still have this problem. It comes out randomly while I work so it's very difficult for me to trace it down... anybody idea?

16. PolyMad

PolyMad

Restarted the computer and taken off the folder some shaders, for now I don't have this problem anymore.
    I'll keep you updated on this. The shaders I removed were gemshaders and hard surface.