Search Unity

GetSceneByName returns null

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by EstragonHelmer, Jan 17, 2019.

1. EstragonHelmer

EstragonHelmer

To switch between levels, I built some code that takes the current scene name (formatted like 'Level 1') and increases the number on the end each time, so it can load the next level.

When I load the next level, I check that a scene with that name is valid, and if so load it. If not, it returns to the menu instead.

GetSceneByName keeps returning null, so when I check if the scene is valid, it says it's not. Obviously the scene is there, it's in the build settings, but the code keeps returning null.

In the documentation there's a bit I don't understand about GetSceneByName checking an exact file path in some cases, or just looking at the end of the scene names...

Code (CSharp):
    1. //check if next level exists
    2. Scene sceneCheck = SceneManager.GetSceneByName (nextLevel);
    3. if (sceneCheck.IsValid ())
    4.     SceneManager.LoadScene (nextLevel);
    5. else
    6.     SceneManager.LoadScene ("Level Select");

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. nilsdr

nilsdr

two things, the docs state it searches through the scenes that are already loaded, so I wouldn't expect the above to work?

so, what are you passing as nextLevel? and are the scenes in build settings?

3. EstragonHelmer

EstragonHelmer

All the scenes are in the build settings. 'nextLevel' is a string that is the name of the level I want to load. But sometimes, it won't exist, which is why I'm trying to use the isValid check on it first.

Ok, yes. I just tested it with a different scene, and realised maybe I was doing it differently when it worked. I have changed that code quite a few times now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019