Search Unity

GetNativeTexturePtr() call behavior differs from RenderTexture/Texture2D, how come?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Nikolaj, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Nikolaj

Nikolaj

Hi,
    Im trying to write a DLL plugin that uses CUDA and DirectX 11 interoperability, and I require a pointer to a RenderTexture generated from Unity. However, I am not getting the same behavior when calling GetNativeTexturePtr() on a RenderTexture, as when calling GetNativeTexturePtr() on a Texture2D.

Heres a snippet of the C# code that creates the texture and rendertexture in a Unity script:

Code (csharp):
    2. // Create a Texture2D and RenderTexture
    3. Texture2D tex = new Texture2D(256,256,TextureFormat.ARGB32,false);
    4. RenderTexture renderTexture = new RenderTexture(256, 256, 0,RenderTextureFormat.ARGB32);
    5. renderTexture.isPowerOfTwo = true;
    6. renderTexture.Create();
    7. tex.Apply();
    9. //Link RenderTexture to a camera and display texture on plane surface, and display Texture2D on this GameObject
    10. mirrorCamera.targetTexture = renderTexture;
    11. mirror.renderer.material.mainTexture = mirrorCamera.targetTexture;
    12. renderer.material.mainTexture = tex;
    14. // Pass texture pointer to the plugin
    15. SetTextureDestinationFromUnity (renderer.material.mainTexture.GetNativeTexturePtr());
    16. SetRenderTextureSourceFromUnity (mirror.renderer.material.mainTexture.GetNativeTexturePtr());
    In my DLL plugin I attempt to register the texture pointers with CUDA with the following code:

Code (csharp):
    2. ID3D11Texture2D* d3dtex = (ID3D11Texture2D*)g_TexturePointerDestination;
    3. ID3D11Texture2D* d3drendertargetsource = (ID3D11Texture2D*)g_RenderTexturePointerSource;
    5. cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource(&g_texture_2d.cudaResource, d3dtex, cudaGraphicsRegisterFlagsNone);
    6. getLastCudaError("cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource texture failed");
    8. cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource(&g_texture_2d.cudaRenderTarget_source, d3drendertargetsource, cudaGraphicsRegisterFlagsNone);
    9. getLastCudaError("cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource render texture failed");
    In the above code, registering the texture with CUDA is no problem, with me able to do any further processing I need to. However, the call to register the d3drendertargetsource (the native texture pointer sent from Unity) crashes the application promptly. My guess is that I need to do some extra DirectX stuff in my DLL. This is my first time working with DirectX, I wrote the code i want to port for OpenGL, and Im having trouble figuring out what exactly I am doing wrong. I hope someone sees this and has the answer :)

-Nikolaj

ModLunar likes this.
  2. Nikolaj

Nikolaj

If I am missing any relevant information, please don't hesitate to tell me.

-Nikolaj

3. Nikolaj

Nikolaj

The call to cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource returns the following error when used with the pointer from a RenderTexture's getNativePtr() function: "CUDA Runtime API error 11: invalid argument."

According to CUDA documentation, the only rendertarget that cannot be registered with CUDA is the primary rendertarget.

As mentioned, cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource with getNativePtr() from a Texture2D works as intended.

-Nikolaj

4. CKahler

CKahler

Hi Nikolaj,

did you find a solution for this problem? I'm trying the same thing with DX11 & OpenCL, and I also have troubles to get the RenderTexture working with it.

ModLunar likes this.
  5. korzen303

korzen303

Hi Nikolaj,

any updates on this? Would it be possible to have a look at your interop code. I need to do something similar with Compute Buffers and CUDA

Thanks

6. ReJ

ReJ

Unity Technologies

Check_2015 likes this.
  7. Check_2015

Check_2015

8. luyangliu123

luyangliu123

Did anyone fix this problem? I adopt the suggestion from ReJ and get the correct native texture pointer, but still get "CUDA Runtime API error 11: invalid argument" when calling cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource.

9. XinYueStudio

XinYueStudio

hi, Nikolaj did you find a solution for this problem? want to study this project ,Would you like to share a Demo for me?

10. seb_krueger

seb_krueger

Hi,

cudaGraphicsD3D11RegisterResource is not working with typless texture formats. As far as I know, there is no solution for that, but making a copy of the texture into a strongly typed one. And this should solve the issue CUDA/dx interopt has with the main render target texture.

Best
    Sebastian