Search Unity

getDeviceUniqueIdentifier

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by EducaSoft, May 12, 2010.

1. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Shiva has it, does Unity have it or is it planned? Its usefull for some kind of licensing purposes where a customer needs to be identified by his/her specific hardware.

----------------------
    From shiva 1.8 release
    ----------------------

system.getDeviceUniqueIdentifier now always returns a 32 characters wide string on every platforms !!!

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

No its not as it is illegal to even do that on the app store.
    you will get directly rejected

Licensing works per itunes account not per device as you have or will see in the contract you have to agree to upload any application

3. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Dreamora, I didn't mean on Iphone. I mean on PC/MAC

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Ahh I see, sorry then.

Assume so cause the iphone is the only platform Unity at the time supports that has unique identifiers at all.

Desktop computers don't have unique identifiers (there is not just 1 hardware manufacturer outside the apple world luckily) ...
    There are more or worse working approaches to generate pseudo unique ones basing on hardware serials, MAC and other things.

I say worse because they are not always as stable as they should or must be. Some take hardware parts into account they definitely should not (like all harddisks -> good night with usb devices attached), others don't create really unique ones so someone else might have the same key as yours, resulting in you disabling his license or yours never enabling at all and all that funny stuff.

5. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Well, we use a similar protection system for 5 years now and have sold over 50000 copies protected with it.

If you do it the clever way, then you can pretty well protect yourself and also serve your customers.

We base our ID on BIOS, CPU, NIC and HDD, but each device is only used for a few characters of the ID, so when you exchange for example the HDD, then the 3 others will remain and our software can detect this.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

That would then likely fall onto the "better" side of the fence :)

But given you have already a system, why don't you use that one? Having your own one ensures that someone breaking Unitys general one (if it gets one, assuming enough vote for it on feedback.unity3d.com) won't affect yours at all.

7. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Ours only works on PC, not on mac yet and I would prefer it to be BUILT IN instead of an external dll

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

I see :)

Builtin naturally is always nice even when it makes you much easier to target as you are broken at the same time as the whole technology (one of the main problems of stuff like Molebox etc too)