Search Unity

GetComponentsInChildren(false) returns inactive objects

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Peter77, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I was using GetComponentsInChildren<MyComponent>(includeInactive=false) and to my surprise, it also returns components that are added to deactivated game objects.

Looking at the documentation, it says:
    According to the documentation and common sense from the naming, passing includeInactive=false should not include Components on deactivated game objects.

I was going to create a bug-report, because GetComponentsInChildren(false) does not work as expected and documented.

Then I found the following bug-report in the public issue tracker, describing the same problem I just ran into:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-always-gets-components-from-inactive-objects

The bug-report was closed with "By Design", without further note.

@LeonhardP How can this be the expected behavior? This must be a mistake, right?

a436t4ataf likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hey Peter,
    I'm investigating. Stay tuned, but it might take a while since the dev who introduced this behaviour is currently unavailable.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. Lucas-Meijer

Lucas-Meijer

Unity Technologies

Hey Peter,

The behaviour is by design, allthough your surprise is not unreasonable. We should clarify the documentation.

The "includeInactive" setting is only used to consider which children we will traverse. The direct object you're invoking the GetComponentsInChildren() call is always scanned. In the very very very old days this was not the behaviour, and many people were rightfully very surprised by that as well, especailly since in the editor, a prefab is just an inactive gameobject, it meant that if you asked a prefab for its GetComponentsInChildren you would always get back an empty array.

Hope that clears things up a bit, Lucas

Peter77 likes this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes it does, thanks for the explanation!

5. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Just got bitten by this ... in the latest 2019.3.x release :(.

Took multiple people reading the code to eventually realise that the source code flag doesn't do what the name implies it does.

Is there any chance this flag could be renamed? It's really the wrong name.