Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Get smooth light reflection

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by surajsirohi1008, Dec 7, 2017.

1. surajsirohi1008

surajsirohi1008

In the first image the reflection of the (point) light is too strong, the circle can be seen, I don't want that.
    In the second image the reflection of the light is smooth, there's no concentration at one point, this is the desired lighting I want, how can I achieve this?

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 11.06.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 11.06.56 PM.png

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You need to mess with the radius of the light. Unfortunately it's very unintuitive. No real world "point" (spherical) light has a finite falloff, but that's how Unity models it to better reflect how it is used by deferred shading techniques. Assuming they are doing everything else correctly (a dangerous thing to assume) they will have defined an arbitrary near-zero (but non-zero) intensity value that the attenuated light should reach after traveling distance equal to the light's radius, and then use that and your defined intensity value to solve for the radius of the emissive sphere which should actually be used to model a point light source.

Try to use a larger radius with a lower intensity. Also consider experimenting with two overlapping light sources with different properties.

3. surajsirohi1008

surajsirohi1008

I can't increase the radius, my game is basically a person walking with light and user has to swipe in right direction to turn, if I increase the radius then user will be able to see which way he needs to turn, far away from the turn, this compromises the very idea of the game.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

If the exact behavior of the light is tied to your game mechanics you should write a shader for it so you are in control. In my humble opinion lighting is Unity's greatest weakness and customizing it is a great way to make your game stand out so doing this is quite common.

5. surajsirohi1008

surajsirohi1008

That's like advanced programming, that'll take time to learn.