Search Unity

Get Script path from a Test Script

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by Maeslezo, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Maeslezo

Maeslezo

Hello,

I have a test script with several unit tests.

I would need the path of this script, because I want to load something, and I want the path to be relative to the script.

Normally I use MonoScript.FromMonoBehaviour or MonoScript.FromScriptableObject to get the Monoscript, and from there, I can get the path.

The problem is that a Test Script is neither a monobehaviour nor a scriptable object, so I can not use them.

I know I can hardcode the full path, but the problem is that this test suite is going to be distributed and it could be placed anywhere into the project.

Any idea?

2. superpig

superpig

Quis aedificabit ipsos aedificatores? Unity Technologies

Try
    new System.Diagnostics.StackTrace(1).GetFrame(0).GetFileName()

3. Maeslezo

Maeslezo

It doesn't work. It returns null

upload_2019-9-3_11-53-30.png

4. superpig

superpig

Ah, interesting. Do any of the frames in the StackTrace have usable file info? I can only see the first 4 in your screenshot there.

5. Baste

Baste

Why does MonoScript only support FromMonoBehaviour and FromScriptableObject? A FromType would be very useful - I'm guessing that you don't have that data internally, or?

6. superpig

superpig

Correct. We're only able to do it for FromMonoBehaviour and FromScriptableObject because we enforce that the type name matches the file name in those cases.

7. Maeslezo

Maeslezo

I don't think so
    upload_2019-9-5_10-13-30.png

8. Baste

Baste

Looks like you have a really, really, really deep reflection IEnumerator. Which is kinda how test frameworks work.

If you follow the rule "test class name must match .cs file name", you can do AssetDatabase.Find("t:script").Select(AssetDatabase.GUIDToAssetPath), iterate the results, and find one that has the same same.

The problem is of course that there might be duplicate names, but that's probably not very likely?

9. Maeslezo

Maeslezo

It is a good workarround, but actually I thought there was an official way to do it.

Thank you!

10. superpig

superpig

The thing that surprises me is that TestSimplePasses is not at the top. Possibly it's being inlined by the compiler or something like that.

You could also try calling a method using the [CallerMemberName] attribute - like a function that uses that on a parameter and just returns the parameter.

11. M_R

M_R

Maeslezo likes this.
  12. superpig

superpig

Doh! Stupid mistake. Thanks @M_R.

13. Maeslezo

Maeslezo

14. fherbst

fherbst

Note that you can get filenames for any type by using Mono.Cecil (which is available as package in Unity) and it's ability to read pdb debug symbols (that's what the debugger uses to have you open script files at specific lines during exceptions).

15. liortal

liortal