Search Unity

Question Get Oculus VR LaserPointer to recognize raycast intersection to TMPro_Text

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by TheCircadian, Mar 4, 2021.

1. TheCircadian

TheCircadian

I have a TMPro_Text prefab that I use to create a lot of labels in my scene. I want to modify the size of the text when my LaserPointer intersects with the text, but even though the TMPro_Text prefab is on the UI Layer, and the LaserPointer successfully can click on other UI Buttons, it goes straight through the TMPro_Text object, with no ability to recognize hovering or clicks. Same thing happens with regular Text objects.

I've tried adding an EventTrigger to the GameObject, as well as using TMP_TextUtilities to find the intersecting word, but not having any luck. Is there something I'm missing here?

2. NemesisWarlock

NemesisWarlock

Is this on a Button(TextMeshPro), or just a straight object with a TextMeshPro - Text (UI) component?

"Intersect" isn't the word you're looking for, BTW, it's "Raycast Target".

3. TheCircadian

TheCircadian

The TMP_TextUtilities library uses "Intersect" a lot in their methods (FindIntersectingWord, FindIntersectingCharacter, etc.), and from this video that library in general seemed to capture the functionality I'm looking to recreate, so I was just trying to use their general terminology. You're right though, "Raycast Target" is probably more appropriate for the feature itself in a general Unity functionality context.

I'm trying to do this with a Text UI component, not a Button. It's easy to do with a Button. Doesn't necessarily have to be TMPro or not, although from what I've seen (like in that video) there is more support for functionality like this for non-Button elements through TMPro. Just a few early attempts in replacing the cursor transform of their 2D demo (`Input.mousePosition`) with the LaserPointer from Oculus' VR system didn't get me anywhere.

4. tylerscottslater

tylerscottslater

@TheCircadian , did you ever figure out a solution for this?

5. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @tylerscottslater,
    There are 3 options to get this working:
    1: Use the standard TextMeshPro - Text (
    TextMeshPro
    ) with a transparent image behind it set the checkbox on the Image for Raycast Target.
    2: Use the TextMeshPro - Text (UI) (
    TextMeshProUGUI
    ) which has the Raycast Target checkbox similar to the non-TextMeshPro UGUI Text component.
    3: Add a Tracked Device Physics Raycaster to the scene and then put a MeshCollider on the TextMeshPro - Text object. The only issue here may be performance, as it will do a lot more physics calculations with the Mesh Collider that is fit to the letters of the text.

Let us know if these work for you!