Search Unity

Get mesh triangle

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rhughes, Nov 6, 2015.

1. rhughes

rhughes

If I want to get a triangle's vertices from a mesh, I currently need to call mesh.vertices. The problem with this is if I call this each frame and the mesh is big, it allocates a lot of memory each frame - which adds up to increase GC calls.

Is there a way to get a triangle's vertices from a mesh without calling Mesh.vertices? Or is there a more memory-efficient way of getting the mesh vertices?

I am currently doing this based on a RaycastHit.

Thanks!

2. jhocking

jhocking

Can you cache the mesh.vertices?

3. rhughes

rhughes

There is that option. I would like to avoid doing this though as the mesh can deform during runtime, so a cached set of vertices even of the same length is no guarantee of being a current representation, unless I implement a timestamp of some kind.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If the mesh can deform at any time, then I can't see any way to avoid calling mesh.vertices whenever you need to know where the vertices are.

But if you can hook into whatever's deforming the mesh, maybe you can have it do the same operation to your triangle points, or otherwise have it report back where those three vertices are. (Of course it's calling mesh.vertices whenever it's deforming the mesh anyway.)