Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro 'Get Kerning Pairs?' doesn't want to get kerning pairs? -_-

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Feaver1968, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Feaver1968

Feaver1968

I'm trying to create a text asset with the Roboto-regular ttf from https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto?selection.family=Roboto . I enable the 'Get Kerning Pairs?' option in the font asset creator, but it does not add kerning pairs to the created asset.
    Not a single pair.
    According to Glyphs this font contains 7,371 kerning pairs, none of which I want to add manually using the editor.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Some kerning data is located in the GPOS table which FreeType (used by TMP) does not support. In this case and not idea, you can try to export the kerning data from the font and then create a script to add it to the kerning table of the font asset or manually enter the kerning pairs that are most relevant for your use.

Although the current version of TMP does not support reading data from the GSUB and GPOS tables, this is planned for the integrated version of TMP.

3. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

@Stephan_B : Has kerning pair support been fixed in the current release of TextMesh Pro? If not, what's the status of it? We've been working hard to make our in-game text match what our artist is doing, and kerning pair support is vital to this effort.

Thanks!

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Support for reading GSUB and GPOS tables which includes the glyph positional adjustments (kerning) is not yet available however it is something that will be available within the next 60 - 90 days or sooner if I can.

This will require a new version of Unity as those changes are contained in Unity itself as opposed to the TMP package. This new functionality will be available in Unity 2019.4 or newer when these changes land.

A new version of the TMP package will be needed to expose / take advantage of these new features which will be in the next preview release which will be version 2.2.0-preview.x for Unity 2019.4 and version 3.2.0-preview.x for Unity 2020.2 or newer.

These new releases will also include support for Diacritical Marks and later Ligatures.

5. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply! Looking forward to the new release(s).

Stephan_B likes this.
unityunity