Search Unity

Get In the Game Making for Real[I need a Sensei in game design]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kamGames, May 1, 2015.

1. kamGames

kamGames

Hi I am Kevon McDonald and I am a game Maker. Have wanted to make games ever sense I was 14 watching G4tv and playing games for most my life. This is a dream that I have try to do for along time [to put in perceptive I am now 23 that's over 9 years] and I am not going any where. This is depressing and I need help I have learned so much about code and 3d modeling in that time with no formal training in both [the YouTube/Website University lol]. I do this because of my mom and my cousin[RIP], my mom really did not like the ideal of me trying to make game but she supported me to the end and my cousin was part of my team he never got to see Unity 3d and work with it, but I sill try to make games with my twin brother. what this is me trying to learn as much as I can and make something that will spark the light that made me want to make video games.There are so many indie game designers out there that make thing I can not hope to do but I am willing to learn to master.

why I wrote this is to look for help to learn more I need a Sensei in game design!!! lol

2. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

You're not going to find one here.... everyone is too busy being lazy looking through the forums

Try going into collaboration. If not, go onto www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The pool of random strangers on the internet who want to learn from experts is bigger then the pool of random experts on the internet willing to teach. That's why mediums like YouTube are popular, they allow one person to teach many.

Getting one on one tutoring requires payment or some form of existing relationship with the tutor.

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I admire your passion, but without paying someone your pretty limited in finding a mentor. Maybe just join local game dev "meetup" groups, attend game dev conventions and events, and try to find locals in person who share your passion, then convince them to partner with you. Even if they aren't fantastic at whatever they do, it could be a learning experience for both of you! And who knows maybe you'll find somebody who's a diamond in the rough, and can 3d model up a storm, or codes in black magic lol.

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@kamGames I recommend quill18creates. That guy is probably the best mentor you're going to get.

ostrich160 likes this.
  6. kamGames

kamGames

Thank you this really makes me feel very confident. all of this really helps me a lot.
    This was my first post and it help me to feel comfortable to post stuff here and to see that I am part of the Unity Community. Your comments give me the drive to move forward[trust me I was nervous to see what yall would make of me lol].

7. Archania

Archania

Now go Grasshopper and absorb all the knowledge that is available. And ask questions as you come across and stumble and fall a couple of times, the Sensei never fully reveals all their tricks! :p

But please for the love of all that is good, don't come back and post that you have this most awesome fantastic brilliant idea for a ground breaking MMORTSFPS game that will rule them all and that you only need a team cause after all you are the ideas guy. :)

Ryiah, Schneider21 and Kiwasi like this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Post away. We are generally pretty helpful. Just take every comments in the most positive way possible and you'll be fine.

And even when we aren't being nice, nobody has actually devised a way to jump through a computer screen and physically flame someone. So the internet is a fairly safe environment.

Apparaten_ likes this.
  9. thebestappgames

thebestappgames

/ I don't think you can really find a mentor in forums for that you need to pay some money or do some professional training and then work for some time in a reputed company. This way you will have better chances of success rather than just asking in forum...

10. kamGames

kamGames

never yo I just do grunt work

11. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

*whisper* game dev schools

12. kamGames

kamGames

A long time ago I posted a message about I needed a master at game making will still need some help lol.

but I have not given up at all... I have still been working on my C# and modeling so I can make the games want make. I am working on a game that captures what I like about anime with some block building game elements (aka like Mine Craft) but have like an rpg base gameplay to boot lol

I have a model that I put in unity mainly for testing that shading and such

its my Avatar

13. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Someone will pass on their knowledge to a worthy subject, out of respect for the art they practice--it is human nature to pass on things we have learned to the next generation. But a wise and skilled teacher will be frustrated by a pupil who isn't worth teaching, be they lazy or dumb, or just too untalented.

If you show yourself to be an earnest seeker of knowledge and a diligent student, knowledge will find you and you will have not one, but many teachers over many years.

What a person seeking knowledge needs to realize is that they don't need to find the perfect teacher, they need to become the perfect student.

Billy4184, iRuDz, GarBenjamin and 2 others like this.
  14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It looks a little chilly there with no clothes.

Pff, so old fashioned. All you need to learn the entirety of human knowledge is the internet and a library for some documents too old to be recorded online! And then of course the logical skills to make use of that information for practical application or synthesize new information.

15. kamGames

kamGames

yah I am still working on getting clothes on them I have a male and female But Still WIP.

16. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Good luck with clothing & armatures. I haven't tried it myself but I hear it can be difficult.

17. kamGames

kamGames

I have ideas like using the skinned mesh renders and changing that model it works but putting in a inventory system too it is hard

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  18. kamGames

kamGames

New Character better model ok better topography too
    Have a look

19. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

No boobs???

20. Teravisor

Teravisor

Art could still have a push... Female proportions are off. What gives off a lot is hips too large compared to bust and shoulders for a child; however it's clearly not an adult.

21. kamGames

kamGames

I was looking for more of a smaller frame on that one. there was going to be more body types that will use that one as a base to start from. thank you for you input :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  22. kamGames

kamGames

male too

23. Teravisor

Teravisor

In anime style it might be fine, but I get feeling hands are slightly smaller(length-wise) than they should be. Elbow end should reach hip bone start. Well, it can be feature and children often have disproportions while growing so it can be skipped and unless it's on stationary picture up close, it won't be noticed.

24. kamGames

kamGames

Yah it is out of proportion some. the character is supposed to be an adult I am still working on make that look play out more. it is hard to get it thou when the arms are not to the sides at first

25. kamGames

kamGames

Well I fixed it and made the arms in more proportion

26. kamGames

kamGames

27. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Keep it up, eventually you'll have a good workflow figured out and pump out models like these in almost no time!

28. Teravisor

Teravisor

Wait, wha :confused:... Okaay, then body/legs proportion is off. I don't see that as adult. I can't. Even if I try. Unless you add beard (and even then most likely won't - I'll just see it as fake beard). It's not like there are no games with adults using same proportions as children (just look at tales series(zestiria, symphonia and such) - I deem them quite succesful)...

First reason for that effect:
    Usually adults follow rule of 6/7 heads (female/male, in heads), in extremely rare cases it reaches 7/8 at most(higher height means more heads fit in). For female general proportion is somewhere 1 head+2 heads for torso till hips bone +3 heads for below and male for 1 head, 2.4 for torso, 3.6 for legs (all approximate). There I see 1 head, 2 torso, 3 legs (just measured using ruler). Anime girls can use 5 heads (1/1.7/2.3 approximately). Chibis can use everything below.

Second reason for that effect:
    Character forms are not developed. It still feels partially girl while not having sexual features while seemingly having age when they at least start develop(hips/shoulder width at least) - so it's a boy of about 10-14 age. Adult men usually have wider shoulders, less pronounced waist in stomach area(unless skinny, but arms and legs aren't in this case). And generally they look a bit more... Either muscular or boney or fat(Stomach is always fattest part of any human, but it's reverse here - it makes girls look good, but...).

Third reason:
    Undeveloped anime face doesn't help either, but, well, a lot of anime main heroes are like that. I know it'll change, but I'm counting everything that caused my reaction right now.

Actually, looking at previous and this screenshot I can say: it was about 6-10 years old. Now it's 10-14 years old! At least if you scale model right world-wise... ;) Might be good for intentional fable-like tale when you first show child doing something, then teen, then elder-teen(18-like) then adult...

P.S. I might not completely describing what's wrong because I'm good at drawing anime girls, not so good at anime males or realistic art, sorry!

29. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Disclaimer: I am no artist. That being said, in my opinion as a gamer, I'd say as long as your consistent, and everybody is close to same heights (exceptions being giants or very small characters) and relatively proportioned the same, aside from males being slightly taller on average, and females having... erm... female shape... - then it might look fine using the scale your at. If your targeting younger audiences then I think it becomes even less important. Women could be twice as tall as men, everyone could have arms and legs be disproportionate, with one ear (ok a little extreme haha).

As long as the game has a nice consistent look and gameplay then it'll get played. Perhaps not by older audiences who can't identify with the characters, but kids are happy with just lego characters, whom have unusual proportions as far as width of legs and stuff goes, so really it is just a matter of getting a good style down and sticking to it, be consistent in your design at least on per-game basis (obviously you might use different setups on different games) and it should look alright even if not using "natural" proportions.

Ok, I don't got much more experience in this department because organic models are like impossible for me. I'll stick to my codin' haha.

30. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Can you elaborate on that? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But I agree. If the characters in the presented universe all have similar dis-proportions, people won't have any trouble distinguishing who's who and or what's what.

People learn to accept what's what when it's been defined. Behold, a boy!

hhaku.jpg

31. kamGames

kamGames

I am not done yet I have a lot more to do I am trying to make the character look older, but for the female that can be changed. I am really trying to get it right, the female is from a model that was suppose to be like 15 at first and more chibi but for this game I am trying to make the character older like 18 or 20 at most the eye are big that is what makes it look more like a child. this is still WIP Sorry if I am confusing anyone.

ps the male is working from the female model so there is still some refining that is needed to be done and I want to keep the armatures at about the same place so all the animations will transfer over with out a new armature or funny animations they are going to have separate animations per gender[aka personalities ] but about the same for fighting.

Tank you all for the input I will try to work on my models
    for this game I hope to gear it for all ages if that is what they are in to.

32. kamGames

kamGames

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  33. kamGames

kamGames

so it has been some time that i have made a post (not dead) but i have been working on getting better so here

34. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

You should make friends with that Virtual Companion guy in that other thread, I suspect you guys would get along swimmingly

You likely have aligning interests.

35. neginfinity

neginfinity

That actually looks a lot like anime characters, but:

You need toon shader, and legs/torso don't quite look right. Legs are a bit too big, and torso is missing details around navel/rib area.

Regarding toon shader, you could check this GDC talk about Guilty Gear Xrds Sign:
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022031/GuiltyGearXrd-s-Art-Style-The

Regarding body and anatomy.

There are couple of books on anime/manga drawing which are worth reading. Those are:
    "How to Draw Manga Vol 1 Basics of Character drawing" (ISBN 4-7661-1482-5 )
    "How to draw Manga: Bodies and Anatomy" (ISBN 4-7661-1238-5 )
    "How to draw manga: vol 4 Mastering Bishoujo Characters" (ISBN 4-7661-1486-X )

I'd recommend to read those, mostly because body anatomy on your characters doesn't look very convincing.

In addition to that you will probably get significantly better if you attempt to model an existing character from some anime/manga.

For example, someone similar to your characters could look like this:
    chara.jpg

36. kamGames

kamGames

thank you for your input i have a Toon Shader on them but i am still working on the outline scaling and they don't have textures yet, that will give them some more details on there bodies. i have put a lot of work on making them more distinguishable between male and female. the models are to represent more like maybe 16-18 or so

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  37. kamGames

kamGames

umm
    who is Virtual Companion And what thread???

38. Ryiah

Ryiah

39. kamGames

kamGames

40. kamGames

kamGames

idk if me and him are on the same page my game is more like an Action/RPG or a JRPG game with a random Gen world and Adventurer more like Terraria or Minecraft and have a story like most Anime

and as i read on this is more like a school project not a way to make a living

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  41. kamGames

kamGames

Ok i do this for help maybe fine someone that will like to work on this project with me Thank you to all who are willing to help

42. Ryiah

Ryiah

I think it was intended more as a joke than anything. :p

43. kamGames

kamGames

sorry this is my dream idk i take somethings as helping me

Sorry if i make anyone mad at me

44. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

The Joke...

Your head.

iamthwee likes this.
  45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think you need to just get on with it. We can't teach you to eat or breathe or do the fundamentals. When you have experience from trial and error and plenty of practise we can help. The problem is here you're thinking there's things people can teach you, but you're not really learning how to teach yourself first. That's the basics, and you need that.

46. kamGames

kamGames

i can see that

47. kamGames

kamGames

ok i get this maybe i am not clear some help maybe more motivational or encouragement. this reply to what i have here makes me feel like i cant teach myself :oops:

48. Schneider21

Schneider21

It seems to be worth saying, because this isn't the first of these kind of threads we've seen.

Talented and successful game developers aren't like Shaolin monks who spend their days meditating on their remote server farms, waiting for a student with true potential to show up so they can pass on their wisdom. They're regular, hard-working people who are currently cranking away on their games!

A number of those wise masters divert part of their precious time here on these forums to offer help to those who need it. This is often a few minutes out of their work day while they're waiting for the coffee to brew, or while they're sitting on the throne before catching some sleep near 1:00 in the morning.

Because of this constraint, you're not likely to find someone who can dedicate the time needed to teach you everything. Nor would that even be feasible with the nature of what you're asking. Thankfully, it's also entirely unnecessary, as there are a plethora of guides and tutorials already available to you (mentioned already and conveniently available at the top of this page).

Additionally, it's sometimes confusing how someone could find these forums, sign up, and ask for help without having gone through the official tutorials mentioned. At best, it suggests you're unable to effectively search and didn't know they existed, which implies that even if we do lend help, it'll be a constant need to provide detail on what to do next. At worst, it means you know this content is available to you, but choose to ignore it.

There are a ton of people here willing to help, but you have to be able to properly ask for help, too. If you're too general with your request, we can only give general answers. If you ask for high-level information, we'd have to spend hours typing responses (or just point you to those tutorials which cover everything you're asking).

A good request for help is specific and gives an idea of what've already tried, what kind of result you're expecting, and what, specifically, you're actually seeing. It would share relevant code and editor screenshots, as well as verbatim-copied console error message. It should also be something you've actively worked at solving yourself, by reattempting related tutorials, deep Google searching, and critical thinking. That is, after all, the only way you'll actually learn how to make games, instead of just have your hand held through making each part of something.

Stick with it. Listen to what people here are telling you, and follow their advice. Push through the difficulties, learn how to search, and keep working!

Deon-Cadme, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  49. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Hey now, speak for yourself

though to be fair, I only really possibly qualify for the first adjective, not the second

My roundhouse kick ain't half bad though

50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well you won't get anywhere in life if you don't make it your own responsibility.

Lets say you're abandoned in a forest in the middle of nowhere and night is falling. You don't know where you are. What do you do? sit there? cry? hope someone turns up? shout?

Or formulate a plan and try to survive? Game development, or anything - is a challenge you have to first take responsibility for. This... is called being an adult and not a helpless child. Choose what you want to be.

Ryiah and Deon-Cadme like this.