Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Get if Trigger is set or is a condition of a state

Discussion in 'Animation' started by sstrong, Nov 12, 2020.

1. sstrong

sstrong

Is there a way to determine if a Trigger is set or is a condition of the current state?

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

animator.GetBool might tell you if it's set since a Trigger is just a fancy Bool.

But you can't get any info about the transition conditions in an Animator Controller at runtime.

3. sstrong

sstrong

Yeah, GetBool "works" with triggers but as you probably have guessed doesn't help much. I guess that's why you created your set of assets ;) My code already works with bool parameters but I'm trying to get it to work with Triggers too.

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

A minor reason yeah, but even if you could access transition details at runtime the fact that you are forced to define important logic outside of your code is a massive design flaw.

Even before I made Animancer I never used Triggers. I set up all my states on their own with the only transitions being exit time transitions back to Idle for non-looping actions, then I used animator.Play or CrossFade to play them. That lets you avoid wasting time setting up and debugging parameters and transitions. It's nowhere near as effective as Animancer, but at least it puts some of the logic back into your scripts where it belongs.

NikitaUseDeveloper and sstrong like this.
  5. NikitaUseDeveloper

NikitaUseDeveloper

It is a good advice, thank you