Search Unity

Question Get float value from Quest 2 grip button

Discussion in 'Input System' started by PascalTheDog, Oct 16, 2021.

1. PascalTheDog

PascalTheDog

Hey,

I'm working in VR with the Oculus Quest 2, using the XR toolkit and trying to animate a rigged model's hands using input actions.

Technically, it works. The hand is open when the grip isn't pressed and the hand is clenched when it is... but I can't get the hand to show any of the intermediate stages. The thing is, the grip button is more like a conventional gamepad bumper than a button; it should be expressed as a float (0 to 1) rather than as a bool (true or false) unlike its default behavior in the toolkit, right? So I changed the associated Input Action's action and control types to Value and Axis respectively, and read its value as a float in code.

However, for some reason, it will only output 1 (pressed) or 0 (not pressed) with no in-between. It's a float all right, but pretty much acting as a bool; in fact, I suspect it's just a bool being converted to a float at some point.

How can I get the Quest 2 gamepad grip button to output a usable float value? Assistance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

2. Judgeking

Judgeking

- Select the XRI Default Input Actions project item the XR Input Action Manager is using, then Edit Asset
    - select the left or right hand Interaction, then the Select action for Grip or Activate action for Trigger values
    - change Action Type to Value and Control Type to Axis
    - under the Trigger or Grip bindng path, change from triggerPressed or gripPressed to just trigger or grip
    - click Save Asset when done

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  3. brianisbrilliant

brianisbrilliant

@Judgeking Thanks for that! I haven't messed with the new input system hardly at all. If I can offer a follow-up question, is there a way to get the XR Grab Interactable > Interactable Events to interpret activate as a float? Or to add another event for "OnValueChange"?