Search Unity

Feature Request Geometry Node and tessellation for shader graph

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Deleted User, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can we have a geometry Node similar to blender in shader graph because I found them really useful in blender... And also tessellation in shader graph its really very important!!

2. bgolus

bgolus

What kind of data are you looking for? Most of what's available from the Geometry Node in Blender exists as separate nodes in Shader Graph, or can be computed on the fly from available data. The data that isn't available doesn't exist at all.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

For things like scattering ready made grass or creating completely new grass mesh or creating fur.. i saw few tuts on YouTube they use shader graph for vertex pos and albedo than start editing the generated code but is there any way of doing it Directly in shader graph with custom function or sub graphs?!

Siethu and barrybaz like this.
  4. bgolus

bgolus

Ah, you’re talking about a different Geometry node than what I was thinking.

No. There’s no public plan to allow Shader Graph to generate geometry within the shader via a geometry shader stage. And I would not expect to see one. Apple devices and desktops don’t really support them, and PC and console hardware is looking towards mesh shaders (which Shader Graph also doesn’t support).

Tessellation is supposedly being looked into. But the push for the future is going to be to use compute shaders to generate geometry data. And that too is on the list of things they’re looking into.
    https://portal.productboard.com/8ufdwj59ehtmsvxenjumxo82/tabs/7-shader-graph

Ne0mega likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for replying!! I have one more question.. can I call the VFX graph as a compute shader graph?? I saw some example projects of VFX graph from GitHub and the most interesting one was the voxel terrain one... Can I edit the code generated by VFX graph and use marching cube algorithm to make them look smooth or like a normal terrain?! Because the game I am creating requires voxel terrain and I don't have much knowledge about the compute shaders to make it from scratch directly from compute shader.... I also got interested with the grass example because it renders thousands of grass objects on a very high fps!!

6. sinanisler

sinanisler

first unity needs geometry nodes
    second we need unity import or blender export addon

first part hard second part easy... :)

*sorry for waking this post from death

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

@sinanisler Please watch some tutorials of exporting things from blender to unity it is very easy and simple

8. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

Bump! A tessalation node for URP would be nice. I only did see the node for HDRP. But maybe since the goal is to make both feature sets available to both it also comes to URP at some point?

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Same question, this is very critical, otherwise the graph is a useless tool for getting good graphics in urp

DavidZobrist likes this.
  10. Yany

Yany

Yeah, nodes to create geometry in shader graph would be much appreciated. Creating grass/fur/3D splines/procedural characters/procedural anything could come extremely handy.