Search Unity

Resolved (Geometry) Length of a line where it goes through a circle.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by INeatFreak, Aug 12, 2019.

1. INeatFreak

INeatFreak

hi. i need to find length of a line where goes through a circle with radius 690 meters. look at the picture to better understand what am i asking. thanks.
    circle.PNG

or how can i calculate distance from green sphere to point where line intersects with edge of purple circle.

2. StarManta

StarManta

Alright, let's dust off some high school algebra! The two important input numbers are: how far from the circle's center is the line (d), and how big is the circle's radius (r)? I see 690 here for the latter, and the former could be found with something like this sample code.

Obviously, if d > r, return 0. If d == 0, return r * 2. All other answers will be in between.

When you have the line reduced to "distance from the circle center", you can picture the problem as a horizontal line a=d units above the origin, so its formula is a simple y = d. If you can find the appropriate X where this line intersects the circle, you can multiply that by 2 and there's your length. The circle's formula is x^2 + y^2 = r^2.

So now you can just sort of mash the line's formula in with the circle's formula and solve for x.

x^2 + y^2 = r^2
    y = d
    x^2 + d^2 = r^2
    x^2 = r^2 - d^2
    x = sqrt(r^2 - d^2)

Multiply by 2 and there's your formula. Set r to 690 and d to your line's distance and you should get the right answer. Or in code form:
    Code (csharp):
    1. float GetDistWithinCircle(float lineDistToCircleCenter, float circleRadius) {
    2. if (lineDistToCircleCenter >= circleRadius) return 0f; //if we don't do this one special we'll be taking sqrt of a negative number below
    3. return 2f * Mathf.Sqrt(circleRadius * circleRadius - lineDistToCircleCenter * lineDistToCircleCenter);

INeatFreak and lordofduct like this.