Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Geometry Defense TD [Android][iOS]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ZebecGames, Aug 30, 2017.

1. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Hello all!

I am excited to announce the release of Geometry Defense: Infinite for Android and iOS.

About the Game

An "action tower defense" that requires players to pay attention and intervene or face defeat. I accomplish this by having traditional tower defense mechanics, build->kill->earn->build->repeat and layer on simple counter mechanics.

Besides basic stat differences (hp, armor, speed, value) the enemies can also have damage immunities, modifiers, and abilities. Towers have elemental damage types that also have secondary effects - reduce armor, slow, ignore armor, damage shields, and more.

Download Now

Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ZebecGames.GeometryDefense
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geometry-defense-td/id1248670866?ls=1&mt=8

Some Backstory

The intent with the game was to learn and practice making games with a relatively "simple" game. So my original goal was to create an Endless TD with no frills or extras and to avoid pre-canned assets as much as possible. While I am a professional software developer with over 5 years experience and many years of hobby game dev, I had never released a game before this.

As far as the game goes, it evolved over time (lots of feature creep and re-works). I had launched the game on Android EA as an Open Alpha last Summer and received a surprising amount of feedback. This caused me (for better or worse) to expand the features immensely (Campaign, Research Tree, and Abilities). The "simple" game ended up taking 2 years to release and I am still adding to it.

Please share any feedback, comments, or questions!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    - Jacob

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Has anyone tried it? Would welcome any feedback!

3. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

I hate to bump but I've pushed many updates since my last post. I would really appreciate any feedback. I added localization that was performed by Google Translation and would especially like to here from non-English speakers. Thanks everyone!

4. walter_unity652

walter_unity652

Sorry for the late response, I love the game and I’m surprised no one else said anything here, keep up the good work!

ZebecGames likes this.
  5. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

Congrats on the success, care to post some vague earnings and monetization strategy?

ZebecGames likes this.
  6. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Thanks! Life has been crazy but I am working on another update - glad you like it so far!

7. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Hi! Success? In a way yes - I have completed a couple of games and learned much but in terms of financial success there has been none.

On mobile, I've experimented with several strategies and honestly the highest per user revenue was sadly from having much more spammier interstitial video ads. I never felt good about it and when users complained I removed them.

Currently, there is an IAP that doubles rewards at the end of the mission, premium currency, and opted into video ads for premium currency/free continue. Less than 1% of users have spent any money on IAP.

The Steam version is B2P with ~700 purchases but most of those were at heavily discounted prices. It is in EA and I have increased the price as more features were added. Which could be backwards but I wanted early adopters to get it cheap for having faith in me.

Overall, without any specifics I've sunk way more money into it than I ever will get back. I left my job to work full-time on it as making progress was painfully slow - the cost of supporting my family and advertising was a big loss. That is not even counting the 1000s of hours learning and developing 2 games without any compensation. I know this is a common story/pitfall at this point but I don't think I could ever gain the amount of knowledge I did in such a concentrated time frame any other way.

Now that I am working a "normal" job again I try to squeeze in time when I can (sunken cost be damned) as I still aim to make it the best TD game it can be. I have a long way to go still.

I could ramble on forever and may one day do a proper post mortem but that's all I got for now.

tl;dr - Spent more than I've made back but learned a lot. Sometimes I joke that I am paid in positive reviews.