Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Geometry Boolean Operations

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cai814037725, Oct 10, 2022.

?

Geometry Boolean Tools

Poll closed Oct 17, 2022.
  1. Requires Geometry Boolean Tools

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Geometry Boolean tools don't make sense?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cai814037725

cai814037725

Geometry boolean operations that can be used at runtime. Does anyone need this?
    Is it worth publishing assets?

Attached Files:

2. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Am fairly sure I've seen an asset for that. Can be neat as part of a basic 3D software (which that asset was containing). Like it allows you to create an open crate easily with two shapes instead of five or a barel, tunnel etc.

If you talk about runtime, do you mean entirely as part of shaders?

3. cai814037725

cai814037725

It is not a shader, it can run dynamic boolean based mesh at runtime. It can do some creative games.

4. cai814037725

cai814037725

5. cai814037725

cai814037725

It can operate on multiple geometries together, and there is room for optimization. Sorry, my English is not good!

6. mgear

mgear

DragonCoder likes this.
  7. cai814037725

cai814037725

Thank you for your support, CSG Boolean operation is flawed, this Boolean algorithm is developed by myself.

mgear likes this.
  8. mgear

mgear

then go for it!

does it support meshes over 65k verts too?

9. cai814037725

cai814037725

Support it to add octree algorithm acceleration, but the calculation will be much slower if the grid is too large.

10. mgear

mgear

does the main calculation run on another thread/jobs? (so that main game doesnt slow down during it)

11. cai814037725

cai814037725

Yes, it's multithreaded, so the main thread won't stutter.

12. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

RealtimeCSG and SabreCSG are on the store but no longer supported, and their joint effort (Chisel on github) is coming along veeery slowly. ProBuilder devs also indicated that they will focus on CSG editing next.

However, I think none of these tools operate at runtime. Is that an opening in the market for an asset?

I challenge you, since you want to publish an asset: What use-cases can you come up with where boolean CSG operations at runtime seem useful? ;)

If you cannot come up with something even remotely useful yourself then it's probably not solving a real problem, but more importantly you cannot even steer the development in a meaningful way without having a goal that you've come up with and understand the usefulness of.

Right now I cannot come up with much myself. Making a runtime level editor (Quake style maps) is one thing and creating a runtime 3D modeling tool for (simple) user content generation in a game another. But not something that competes with Blender for sure.

However for the former there isn't any abstract level design done in this way anymore for current games while the old games have their long-established CSG editing tools. And the user generated content I see more commonly using modular meshes that can be combined in plenty of ways, rather than using CSG to cut away from anything (it's more difficult for end users to handle).

There may be merit in both but you'd have to do some research to find use-cases and estimate whether it's worth pursuing. You definitely need to have more than just CSG cutting meshes at runtime for the asset to be viable and making sales.

So consider the next steps: how could this evolve?

13. cai814037725

cai814037725

You're right, I'm developing an indie game, and a terrain editor is under development. Boolean operations on the geometry are just auxiliary functions, adding some terrain details, but they haven't been applied yet. Maybe this tool is only useful to me.

14. cai814037725

cai814037725

terrain under development

Attached Files:

15. mgear

mgear

my use case would be photogrammetry / cad models cutting at runtime.. : D

(not critical though, using the shader "cutting" works ok for now, havent tested existing csg solutions)

16. cai814037725

cai814037725

I am thinking of how to use it, and it is currently applied to terrain or broken objects. Thank you for your attention.

17. JonBanana

JonBanana

Hi , i m interested in that kind of tool.
    I almost try all of them and the best on unity asset store is Poseidon csg.
    It can handle really big mesh.

Unfortunately for me the result mesh can have almost invisible geometry error and i m looking for perfect mesh operation.

By the way , like the other i m not sure if its still supported.

18. lucidtripper

lucidtripper

realtime 3d point cloud culling could be very handy - i am using 3 kinect azure sensors and would love to be able to apply a culling volume in real time to live stream (for live theatre application) are you familiar with kinect Azure sdk? i could send you a project with a short recording of 3 sensors to test (playback is similar display method to live input)

19. Arkanoidal

Arkanoidal

Looks interesting, can you update the colliders on the resultant terrain in realtime though? That's really what I'm after, something I can use to make regular craters and tunnels and stuff

20. Freakhealer

Freakhealer

Its a tool, if you get it out there someone might find it useful, I am making procedural meshes and I would like to merge them with a union boolean, they are created at runtime so yes I am looking for that functionality.
    And I can see tons of use cases for geometry booleans at runtime, mainly to aid in procedural mesh creations, but its a tool that has great potential for creativity, even if only for its a stunning effect, but imagine a laser shooting game and with a ray you create a cylinder and subtract it from a mesh to create a whole on a wall or multiple walls,
    I can Imagine a bunch of puzzle like games that could use it, maybe you can do most without it, but well used, in the end you can save on the verts by merging somewhat complex shapes into a part that is less complex than the sums of its parts..