Search Unity

Geo Painter (Scatter Tool) Soon

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ziboo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Hey Ziboo! I purchased Geo painter the other day and its been proving itself invaluable! I appreciate its simplicity. I was in dire need of something like this. I'd like to bring to your attention that I'm getting many warnings of the following nature:

Assets/GeoPainter/Scripts/Editor/GeoPainterEditor.js(539,30): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEditor.Undo.RegisterSceneUndo(String)' is obsolete. Use DestroyObjectImmediate, RegisterCreatedObjectUndo or RegisterUndo instead.

I've seen a few of my unity editor extensions throwing this warning so I assume unity has changed something fundamental in the api with the recent update.

2. lod3

lod3

Might want to email the OP since his last posting was over 2 months ago.

3. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi,

The tool is working on Unity 4.3, but throwing some errors with Undo.
    I'm sorry about that.

I'm trying to take all the time that I can get to work on the new version of GeoPainter.
    It's a complete rewrite.
    If all go well, maybe I will release it in a very near future.

4. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

That's great to hear Ziboo. I look forward to the release, and appreciate your commitment to keeping the tool up to date.

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hi,
    Just bought the tool for painting rocks and grass on some of my game objects.
    I have been using another one and will continue, but for now it seems to need a more robust mesh painter feature.
    I like this one for painting rocks, but I am finding my grass tends to build on top of other grass objects creating
    a stream of grass cascading into the air.
    Will you have a look at this please and see if it's me or something in the program?
    What can be done for optimizing the painted groups?

Thanks

6. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

You should put your terrain on a separate layer, then set the "paint layer" to that layer when painting with geopainter. It will ignore any collision on a different layer, and paint new objects to default. For optimizing painted objects you can combine the prefabs into a single mesh using a combine objects type script. I think there used to be one in the standard assets for unity. I made one myself that makes a bunch of tiles and combines painted prefabs into single meshes by chunks.

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Thanks, maybe it will be included in future updates.

8. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Anyone have an issue with Geo Painter where while painting you try to rotate your view in the scene and the scene view in Unity gets stuck? I can zoom in and out but even after stopping painting I can't regain control of the view in the window. When it's stuck I'm unable to rotate the camera and orbit around my selected object. I have to end up quitting Unity and starting it over.

9. Ziboo

Ziboo

Yeah I'm sorry, the plugin has become a little bit buggy.
    I'm working hard on the new version, and it will be available very soon I hope, please be patient, i'm trying to
    get all the time that I have on the new version and not lose time on fixing bug on the old one.

I'm apologize again..

Here is a little teasing of the new version completely rewritten :)

$geopainterV2_1.jpg

10. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

aaaaawwwwweee yeah! I'm getting super excited! That looks slick.

11. lod3

lod3

Yay!

12. topofsteel

topofsteel

I'm looking forward to it also. If I could make some requests...

Would there be a way to cache prefabs (trees for example) so that when you actually clicked the mouse button to begin painting, there wasn't a lag before the prefabs actually appeared. Even a 2 click process, first click readys prefabs, second click begins painting them. Or an interface button to ready them. I understand the limitations with unity, i'm just looking for a way to make it more predictable.

Would it be possible to incorporate a settings preview window? Just dots representing a scatter-field in relation to the size of the brushes that the current settings would produce. (Actually, having that preview appear as dots under the brush would be awesome)

From a previous post:
    "When I return to GeoPainter, the first group is always the one selected. Clicking edit on the group I want snaps me back to the origin of the project. Selecting an element near where I want to be working had hitting F zooms me back there. But then GeoPainter is back on the first group. How can I get it to remember what group I was using. Or make selecting a group not move the camera to the origin. Thanks."

I would be glad to beta test it for you. Thanks.

13. Ziboo

Ziboo

Right now no cache are implemented, but I painted more than 1000 objects and the GeoPainter was pretty responsive, the rewrite made it faster :)

i'm not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about the scatter function, it basictly show you the scatter radius zone where it going to pick a random point inside, so since it is random and pretty straight forward, i'm not sure it will make sense to display points

I changed the way it work, and there is no groups any more, you have a gameObject that have the geoPainter script attached, which is linked to a library of objects, in the case of the screenshots, that was the "Trees" library, if I want to paint with another one, I just create another GeoPainter.
    The view don't change anymore, that was a bad choice of feature I did...

14. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

I really am looking forward to it! It's been immensely helpful for me. I'm loving how much time I save by getting cool tools like this. Thanks for the update!

15. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Any new updates for us Ziboo? I anxiously await!

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am glad I found this tool... is there a manual available on how to use this...? I have Alloy and I want to make sure that this tool works correctly, especially with the release of Unity 5 happening in the future....

17. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi,

Yep I'm working on it, trying to refine it before the release, add new features.
    I thought I was almost at the end, but I beta test it on a project, and saw that some of the workflow wasn't flowless.
    I want to add some runtime feature too.

Sorry for the delay, it's just that if I release it now and do an update a little bit later, it could cause issue.

18. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Certainly! You've no reason to apologize. I appreciate the update. You're doing things the right way. I hope your endeavors are going well.

19. topofsteel

topofsteel

I'm still really looking forward to the update!

Another request, I seem to remember it adapting the base scale of the mesh it was painting on (although I cant get it to work now :/). Scaling independent of that would be nice. Also, possibly a smaller interface in the inspector or its own editor window.

20. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Me too. I have this thread on insta-notify. I use geo painter every day for my game. Ziboo, I'm sure you're new version works very differently, but I want to request that the update doesn't ever mess with my camera. I had to remove that feature from the current geo painter because I found it really bothersome in a lot of situations. Additionally, I hope there is a way to release objects from the system without deleting all your brush settings (it sounds like the new system will improve this a lot).

21. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Any updates? I'm cleaning up a project and I'm about to rewrite parts GeoPainterEditor.js to fix the warnings about Undo.

22. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

I'm working on GeoPainter fixing the warnings and replacing the deprecated Undo calls. I can make the changes available to GeoPainter owners on request once I'm done. (They aren't that extensive but I'm running into issues like not understanding what "Update Prefabs" and "Replace Prefabs" really does. Also I need to learn how to separate undo calls done in the same frame).

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am still looking at this great tool and now i'm wondering if this will be Unity 5 ready?

24. ioFlow

ioFlow

Doesn't seem to be working in 4.6, no circles, no painting :/

*oops* false alarm, working in an empty project, must be something in my project (gah)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  25. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Author promised an update over a year ago and it looks like Geo Painter was updated on Feb 23rd to free now until he can make version 2. I'm going to be updated a project to Unity 5 after I finish a feature. I imagine everything is going to go sideways. If I decide to preserve this tool I'll contact the author because it really is useful and last I looked there wasn't any other good solutions. I bough Frecklebits but that was a mess, very buggy and didn't work.

26. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Don't know if anyone is still using this but I am. Last night I found it was missing a few features, fixed some Undo stuff and I got annoyed how wide the UI was on my laptop so I cleaned it up a bit. When the author made it free I don't know if he fixed any bugs. Since it's free, if you want an updated version with some bug fixes and a feature like maximum paint slope, msg me. I'm going to clean up what I did just a tad tonight. Author, if you see this ping me and you can take this version for a spin and at least update the store version.