Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Geo Fencing not working on physical device

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by MatWright, Jun 5, 2021.

1. MatWright

MatWright

Hi,

I am using a Geo Fencing condition.

I initially spawn an unlimited number of Horizontal Planes with a Synthetic Object component attached including a semantic tag.

I then instantiate a Prefab multiple time at runtime based on data from a database.

Each instantiated object has its own BoundaryBox specified with a unique lat/long.

The lat/long are set to five decimal places. The lat/long extents are set to 1e-04

This all works fine in the simulator using my current gps position as the simulated center.

However it is not working when deployed to a physical device : Android 11, Pixel 3 XL

I have tried with different Extents.

For info, I am requesting permission for FineLocation. This part appears to be working as I am able to print my device's lat/long to the screen.

But, no geofenced objects are appearing at all.

When I remove the geofence condition, the objects are spawned correctly.

I have experimented with having the condition disabled and then enabling it at runtime once it is configured as per advice I saw in an older thread.

I am working with Unity 2020.3.11f1

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  2. MatWright

MatWright

upload_2021-6-5_12-38-20.png

My settings.

3. MatWright

MatWright

Code (CSharp):
    1.   var geoFenceCondition = myPrefab.GetComponent<GeoFenceCondition>();
    3.         var boundingBox= new GeographicBoundingBox
    4.         {
    5.             center = new GeographicCoordinate(46.34040,5.07097),
    6.             latitudeExtents = 1e-04,
    7.             longitudeExtents = 1e-04,
    8.         };
    10.         geoFenceCondition.BoundingBox=boundingBox;
    Example of how I am configuring a boundingbox

4. thomas_key

thomas_key

Unity Technologies

You should use the
    SyncModifications()
    method of Proxy / ProxyGroup after making these sorts of code changes to proxy conditions.

Why this is needed is that the db has it's own copies of the various condition data stored in a more optimal format, and the condition checking runs on a background thread for performance. With the inspector, syncing this data is handled automatically. When making changes at runtime however, it's necessary to manually notify the system a proxy (or proxy group) has changes applied to it. Calling SyncModifications() informs the query db of a change and schedules a "modification" change action. A modification change can take a few frames to get picked up, as the db query scheduling thread is synced intermittently with the main thread via an actions buffer.

- https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...Proxy.html#Unity_MARS_Proxy_SyncModifications
    - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c..._ProxyGroup_SyncModifications_System_Boolean_

5. MatWright

MatWright

Thanks for your help @thomas_key

Calling SyncModifications() still doesn't help my geofenced Proxies to spawn unfortunately.

Just to be clear, I am creating the proxies at runtime; I am not merely configuring existing proxy instances. As such
    I wouldn't have thought any data will have been saved to the DB in my case, prior to adding the geo based condition.

To be clear, I have a replicator configured to spawn unlimited horizontal plane proxies. Each one has a Synthetic Object with a synthesized tag.

Then, at runtime, I instantiate Proxy objects from a prefab. These proxies have a Semantic Tag condition referencing the above mentioned tag. These runtime proxies are the ones which also have a Geo condition configured based on live data from an external database.

When I remove the Geo condition component, they appear fine. When the Geo condition is active they do not appear at all. The Geo condition itself is correct; and the objects do appear in simulation mode using the same lat/long as my physical device.

I am at a loss as to why the geo condition is not being met when the app is deployed to a physical device.

I have manually requested permission for fine location perms and I can print the devices lat.long to the screen; so that doesn't appear to be the cause either.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  6. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

I think the problem here is that MARS's geolocation service doesn't start automatically by default. You can turn it on in the project settings:

upload_2021-6-8_16-32-51.png

Let us know if this doesn't get things going.

Attached Files:

7. MatWright

MatWright

Thanks @CiaranWills I did have this option turned on; so this wasn't the issue.
    The solution provided by @thomas_key does seemed to have worked in the end.
    My initial tests weren't conclusive but I found other factors had crept in from making so many changes/tests.
    So, thanks for all the help; I have this working now.

Mat

thomas_key likes this.
unityunity