Search Unity

Question Geo Fencing not working on physical device

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by MatWright, Jun 5, 2021.

1. MatWright

MatWright

Hi,

I am using a Geo Fencing condition.

I initially spawn an unlimited number of Horizontal Planes with a Synthetic Object component attached including a semantic tag.

I then instantiate a Prefab multiple time at runtime based on data from a database.

Each instantiated object has its own BoundaryBox specified with a unique lat/long.

The lat/long are set to five decimal places. The lat/long extents are set to 1e-04

This all works fine in the simulator using my current gps position as the simulated center.

However it is not working when deployed to a physical device : Android 11, Pixel 3 XL

I have tried with different Extents.

For info, I am requesting permission for FineLocation. This part appears to be working as I am able to print my device's lat/long to the screen.

But, no geofenced objects are appearing at all.

When I remove the geofence condition, the objects are spawned correctly.

I have experimented with having the condition disabled and then enabling it at runtime once it is configured as per advice I saw in an older thread.

I am working with Unity 2020.3.11f1

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  2. MatWright

MatWright

upload_2021-6-5_12-38-20.png

My settings.

3. MatWright

MatWright

Code (CSharp):
    1.   var geoFenceCondition = myPrefab.GetComponent<GeoFenceCondition>();
    3.         var boundingBox= new GeographicBoundingBox
    4.         {
    5.             center = new GeographicCoordinate(46.34040,5.07097),
    6.             latitudeExtents = 1e-04,
    7.             longitudeExtents = 1e-04,
    8.         };
    10.         geoFenceCondition.BoundingBox=boundingBox;
    Example of how I am configuring a boundingbox

4. thomas_key

thomas_key

Unity Technologies

You should use the
    SyncModifications()
    method of Proxy / ProxyGroup after making these sorts of code changes to proxy conditions.

Why this is needed is that the db has it's own copies of the various condition data stored in a more optimal format, and the condition checking runs on a background thread for performance. With the inspector, syncing this data is handled automatically. When making changes at runtime however, it's necessary to manually notify the system a proxy (or proxy group) has changes applied to it. Calling SyncModifications() informs the query db of a change and schedules a "modification" change action. A modification change can take a few frames to get picked up, as the db query scheduling thread is synced intermittently with the main thread via an actions buffer.

- https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...Proxy.html#Unity_MARS_Proxy_SyncModifications
    - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c..._ProxyGroup_SyncModifications_System_Boolean_

5. MatWright

MatWright

Thanks for your help @thomas_key

Calling SyncModifications() still doesn't help my geofenced Proxies to spawn unfortunately.

Just to be clear, I am creating the proxies at runtime; I am not merely configuring existing proxy instances. As such
    I wouldn't have thought any data will have been saved to the DB in my case, prior to adding the geo based condition.

To be clear, I have a replicator configured to spawn unlimited horizontal plane proxies. Each one has a Synthetic Object with a synthesized tag.

Then, at runtime, I instantiate Proxy objects from a prefab. These proxies have a Semantic Tag condition referencing the above mentioned tag. These runtime proxies are the ones which also have a Geo condition configured based on live data from an external database.

When I remove the Geo condition component, they appear fine. When the Geo condition is active they do not appear at all. The Geo condition itself is correct; and the objects do appear in simulation mode using the same lat/long as my physical device.

I am at a loss as to why the geo condition is not being met when the app is deployed to a physical device.

I have manually requested permission for fine location perms and I can print the devices lat.long to the screen; so that doesn't appear to be the cause either.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  6. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

I think the problem here is that MARS's geolocation service doesn't start automatically by default. You can turn it on in the project settings:

upload_2021-6-8_16-32-51.png

Let us know if this doesn't get things going.

Attached Files:

7. MatWright

MatWright

Thanks @CiaranWills I did have this option turned on; so this wasn't the issue.
    The solution provided by @thomas_key does seemed to have worked in the end.
    My initial tests weren't conclusive but I found other factors had crept in from making so many changes/tests.
    So, thanks for all the help; I have this working now.

Mat

thomas_key likes this.